Sunflowers

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by moonwolf, Jun 25, 2006.

1. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

Who grows a lot of sunflowers. I'm wanting to prepare a large garden site to grow suflowers for seed.
    Questions:

1. what variety is best for this (for wild bird and poultry seeds)

2. what can be interplanted with the sunflowers? Is there a variety of a climbing field pea or a pea to harvest as a dry storage pea?

3. Can you plant the black oil seed bought in the feed store that is used for wild bird feed, and expect a true harvest?

2. Abouttime

Abouttime Well-Known Member

I'm only qualified to answer because I do grow a lot of sunflowers, both here in Va and when I lived in Fl-I can't answer your specific ?'s, but I can tell you they do not transplant well-however I have grown them from Dollar Store seeds with much success-I do have some growing currently from animal feed, but they have not blossomed yet-here is the first flower of the yr from a $ store purchase.
    http://i38.photobucket.com/albums/e110/virginia276/6-24-25-06006.jpg

3. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

I have several rows of black oil seed growing gangbusters in my garden. Right from the birdseed bag. I don't know how well they come to head or if the flowers will be nice, but they're growing a couple of inches a day. All peas can be grown as hard or shell peas. Timing of harvest determines that. Some peas will have more peas in a pod perhaps. A good vegetable garden catalogue will give you more specifics on varieties. There are some incredible catalogues out there. I interplant onions everywhere.

4. dcross

dcross Well-Known Member Supporter

I've got a good sized patch of sunflowers, and I haven't planted any in 3+ years:) I just leave the plants stand until the birds have them picked clean. The next spring, volunteers are EVERYWHERE! I'm interplanting pumpkins.

5. Jillis

Jillis Well-Known Member

I've got a lot of "volunteer" sunflowers from the BOSS that I feed to, well, everybody. A lot came up around the animal pens, along the path to the bird feeders, and in my garden.

I didn't have any problems transplanting them, however. I took a lot of them out of the garden and transplanted them pretty much immediately along the fences. So far, so good!

I planted a big fence row of them on my hill as well...

Goats love sunflowers and will eat the entire plant.