Sunchokes- a question for George K

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by tbishop, Oct 26, 2006.

1. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

I think I have procurred some starting roots for sunchokes. They are on the way, anyway. So how would you suggest seeding a field so that it spreads for the piggies?

Tim

PS- I will be overwintering the roots in a semi-dry tub o' dirt in the basement. Should I grow them in my garden and then collect seeds next fall?

2. Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

I'd post your question on the Gardening & Plant Propagation subforum.

We have planted some this year (2 4 by 16 areas after I moved our luggable pig pen from). They flowered but I've never read where they come from seed.

I remember reading something that gave the amount of root per acre (almost think it was from a Virginia Nursery - can't remember their name).

I'm betting they (the pigs) won't eat all the sunchoke roots, and you'll have them forever in that field.

Pat

3. tbishop

tbishop Well-Known Member

That would be splendid!

I've also heard that some of the plains tribes would dry the roots, grind it, and use it for flour. AND that it had natural insulin producing tendencies. Or perhaps has insulin in it. I'll have to go back and read.

Tim B.

So it's splendid that it keep regenerating. Sorry- didn't finish my thought.

4. GeorgeK

GeorgeK Well-Known Member

Yes, they love them. I had to wall off an area to keep them from digging up the sunchokes

5. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

Sunchokes have inulin so they are a good food for diabetics. We grow a few patches of them - chickens love them, no pigs as yet.
    You could plant them right away unless your ground is already frozen. For a pasture I think I would use a bulb auger - drill a hole 4" deep and drop in a piece of tuber with 1 or 2 eyes. The main problem would be if the pigs are already on the pasture - they would likely root them up before they had a chance to grow.