Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
when in doubt, mumble.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I always put sunscreen on her for about a week after I shave her, but this year I must have missed her neck or something. I shaved her about a month ago, and she did get lightly sunburned. The skin peeled off last week when I washed her, but I noticed a big scabby blister on her neck. The rest of her neck looked fine. The blister peeled off a few days later, and there is nice new pink skin with no hair. (No need for suncreen any more, its been raining every day.)
Any way, during the last few days of last week most of the back of her neck turned scabby and has blisters and cracks and scales. Its disgusting. The scabs are brown and dark red and yellowish. There is a little pus. I have been putting neosporin on it every day, but it hasnt helped at all! She hasnt been wearing a collar for 2 weeks, so there is nothing to irritate it but hair.

I dont know what to do. Its not healing, or else its healing very slowly. I assume its really bad sunburn, but I just wondered this morning if she could have had a reaction to the sunscreen? She never has before, but there is a fist time for everything. She is allergic to metal ear tags, becaus she has sensitive skin.

:shrug:

·
Pook's Hollow
4,568 Posts
Zinc oxide ointment, aka diaper rash cream! :p

My Paint horse, Teddy, had a severe liver infection this spring, which resulted in all his white skin burning and sloughing off - really gross, looked like someone took a flame-thrower to him. The vet recommended zinc oxide ointment. I bought the jars of no-name stuff from the drug store - cheaper and more "spreadable" than Penaten.

·
Registered
3,177 Posts
Keep her in . I have made a fix it all mix that heals wonderfull. I mix mostly grapeseed oil with teatree and lavender. I have had amazing healing results with no infections. I would add a little tea tree and lavender to vaseline if you did not want such a liquid .

Patty

·
Registered
6,727 Posts
Mix a little emu oil into whatever you use. The emu oil is a carrier that will make anything penetrate deeper to heal faster.

·
when in doubt, mumble.
2,025 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Chemical burns? yipes! Thanks for the other suggestions. I'll definitly try them all.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.