Sunburned Ears

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by minnikin1, Jul 25, 2006.

1. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

I have a new little white lamb with sunburn on her ears.
    It's getting to the point that I think I should intervene before it gets much worse.
    I was thinking of putting that white zinc cream that lifeguards like smear across thier noses...

any know of reason I shouldn't do this?

2. susieM

susieM Well-Known Member

Would the ewe lick it off? How about a little hat? Or keeping the baby indoors?

3. ShortSheep

ShortSheep Well-Known Member

It may be dew-poisoning or photo-sensitivity, some strains of white face breeds are prone to it. I had a few sheep with it and smeared desitin (for baby diaper rash) on thier ears. It stays on a longer time than sunscreen and isn't harmful. And I imagine it was soothing for them.

4. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

Ooops, I see that I was confusing the way I said that. She's new to me -
    but she's weaned already.

5. Terry W

Terry W Duchess of Cynicism

perhaps a fly shield like people put on their horses? lets air through-- should reduce the amount of sunlight....

6. eieiomom

eieiomom Well-Known Member

Mary,

The high % white Friesians tend to sunburn, but never to the extent that you are describing.
    A while back while researching "oat hay" I read that it could cause problems with photosensitivity....not sure what site I read it on.

Deb

7. Sprout

Sprout Well-Known Member

The Sunny Okie transplant ground of Californie
    Legumes and rich hays like oat hay can cause an inclination toward photosensitivity, even taking away the legumes may not solve the problem. While she is healing keep her under shade and keep the burnt areas moist with whatever creme you decide to use. I would consider making her nocturnal, if you don't have a bad predator problem. Pen her up when it starts to get hot let her out when the sun goes down. If you do have a predator problem though work around the time they are active and try to give her the most sun free time you can.