sun pucky: pros and cons

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Paul Wheaton, Mar 17, 2005.

1. Paul Wheaton

Paul Wheaton Well-Known Member

My wife and I have been having a small debate about sun pucky.

On the one hand, one could simply not use it and try to acclimate to the sun. Tan instead of burn. Wear long sleeves and hats when first going out.

On the other hand, one could put on sun pucky and not worry about hats, long sleeves and the like. You fight off the skin cancer from the sun, but you take on whatever comes with the chemicals in the sun pucky.

Opinions?

2. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

Personally I wear longsleeve shirts and rarely wear anything but long pants.
    Family sometimes think I'm crazy but I tell them I am actually cooler because the sun is not hitting my skin. Of course you want to wear cotton. Actually my sister made me a shirt (the style that farmers wore during the 1800s - really loose and full) it is great. It prevents the sun from hitting the boddy and is baggy enough that you get a lot of air circulation under the shirt. Wouldn't wear it out to the store but great for working in.

Besides I have never understood how anyone could work outside with short sleeves and short pants, I have tried and only end up with scratches and cuts all over.

Mike

3. Meg Z

Meg Z winding down

I'm supposed to avoid the sun at all costs! Doctor's orders! I think he's full of pucky, myself.

Anyway...if you use sunscreen, you've got to keep using it over and over, because it wears/sweats off. And yeah, I know they make some that are "sweat proof". Well in my opinion, that's for the type of sweat you produce laying on your back on a blanket, with a tall cold drink next to you. It's NOT for the kind of sweat you produce mucking out a six-month deep litter chicken house.
    Plus, the dust and such that you stir up actually Working while wearing that stuff sticks to it like crazy, so you end up looking like a walking pile of dirt, with sweat rivulets running through, showing your 'true colors'. YUCK
    I found a big straw hat I liked, cut a hole in the back and edged it with leather, so my ponytail fits just fine. It protects my eyes. The rest of me tans very nicely. I love the sun!

Meg

4. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

I guess you just have to choose the lesser of two evils after weighing the pros and cons.

My Daddy has had over 50 skin cancers removed in the past five years. He spent his life outdoors...working as a farmer and a cable splicer for the phone company. Back in his day no one wore sunscreen. Now he wears sunscreen AND long sleeves and a big brimmed hat. Of course, the damage has been done.

My husband, his dad and one of his sisters have all had skin cancers removed. They spent many many hours skiing, sunbathing, swimming, etc. without sunscreen. His parents still refuse to use it, saying that sunbathing is good for you (yeah, but what about their skin?).

Personally, I use sunscreen every day of the year...sunny or cloudy. I have Rosacea and Ocular Rosacea and take meds that make me more susceptible to sunburn. Plus, with my family history it just isn't worth the risk. My arms are scarred from sun damage. I wear a big brimmed hat, sunglasses and sunscreen outside. I also avoid going out during the hottest/brightest part of the day. In my opinion, and in my case, the chemicals in sunscreen are far less harmful that the damaging rays of the sun.

5. Rick

Rick Well-Known Member Supporter

Paul

I go for tanning as much as I can, but I use the sun screen at first, and when I need to be in the sun for such long periods that my tan would turn to a burn. This is my theory- that sun screen would have to keep the skin from absorbing vitamin D, since it blocks the sun.

The shirts MikeJoel is talking about have a woven cotton. This allows them to breathe, as opposed to a Tee-shirt material which is knit, and therefore tighter.

6. Ravenlost

Ravenlost Well-Known Member Supporter

"Sunscreens with a sun protection factor (SPF) of 8 or greater will block UV rays that produce vitamin D, but it is still important to routinely use sunscreen to help prevent skin cancer and other negative consequences of excessive sun exposure. An initial exposure to sunlight (10 -15 minutes) allows adequate time for Vitamin D synthesis and should be followed by application of a sunscreen with an SPF of at least 15 to protect the skin. Ten to fifteen minutes of sun exposure at least two times per week to the face, arms, hands, or back without sunscreen is usually sufficient to provide adequate vitamin D..." http://ods.od.nih.gov/factsheets/vitamind.asp

You can also boost your Vitamin D intake with foods such as salmon, tuna, eggs (yolks), fortified cereals, etc.

I'd rather eat salmon and tuna than have skin cancer!

7. southerngurl

southerngurl le person Supporter

Am I the only one who has never heard it called sun pucky???

You learn something everyday!

8. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

I have had the MAJOR problem from the sun. Hopefully it is behind me but I now apply spf 45 sun screen every day, rain or shine, summer or winter. A sun screen product called No-Ad comes in large containers and is priced cheap compared to the other products.

9. MikeJoel

MikeJoel Well-Known Member

Took me a while to figure it out too :D

10. Freeholder

Freeholder Well-Known Member

My ex has had malignant melanoma (and several other members of his family have had it, also), but he grew up in Nebraska and then two years in Hawaii, his last two years in high school, so you know he got a lot of sun exposure. I thought he was blond when I first met him, but his hair is actually brown. So, we have been somewhat cautious about sun exposure, but not paranoid. I am another one who wears long pants always, and quite often long sleeved shirts as well, though not always. I wear wide-brimmed straw hats when I'm working outside in the summer, partly because my daughter, who has vitiligo along with her other issues, MUST wear a straw hat and she keeps hers on better if I'm also wearing one. (Vitiligo is skin that has lost all pigment and it burns in about a minute. It's strange because until she got that, she was the only one of my three girls who had never burned, even when we lived in Florida.) I only wear sun-block if I'm going to be outside in a situation where I can't really wear my ratty straw hat, like an outdoor wedding or some such occassion. My daughter has to wear sun-block on all exposed portions of her body.

I never heard of sun-pucky either. We call insect repellant 'bug dope' and everyone we knew called it that, but when I moved to NH in '91, people gave me these blank looks when I asked if they needed bug dope!

Kathleen

11. NativeRose

NativeRose Texas Country Grandma

I have a sun hat which I wear. I also wear jeans and long sleeved men's cotton shirts as they are cooler. I wouldn't dare wear shorts out. Too many mosquitos and the dreaded fire ants. I use Bullfrog brand sunscreen on my face as it stays on longer. I never heard it called sun pucky before. :haha: