Sun Oven Question

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Lisa in WA, Jul 16, 2006.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Well-Known Member Supporter

I just got my new Sun Oven and I'm using it today. I can't believe how quickly it heats up! One question I can't find an answer for on their web site though: Can you bake a pie in the oven and if so, what can you line the oven with to prevent spillover? Apple pie spillover has to be one of the hardest things to get off and I cwertainly don't want to have to use anything caustic on the oven surface. ALuminum foil won't work..how 'bout white parchment paper? I think it will reflect the light back and it won't heat properly. Any ideas from Sun Oven owners?

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't own one(Yet) but I feel you can cook a pie in it, but I don't know about how Brown you can get the top. I am thinking on the "spillover" Why not just use another pan for your apple pie to sit in---Just a small amount larger----maybe form one with alum foil if you don't have one--this should not disturb anything--like lining the inside of the cooker would. Have fun. Randy

3. Lisa in WA

Thanks for the advice. The manufacturers tell you not to use foil because it will reflect the light back instead of letting the oven absorb it. I've been cooking a pork roast this afternoon and am adding a pan of brownies soon. This is fun.

4. Suburbanhmstedr

Suburbanhmstedr Well-Known Member

I haven't tried baking a pie yet, but now you have me thinking...

If I were going to try this, I'd take the lid from my big black enamel water bath canner, and prop it up in there with balls of foil or rocks underneath to stabilize it, then put my pie in the lid.

5. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I've used foil in mine and it didn't make a bit of difference in the amt of heat. Don't line the whole oven with it, just the bottom and the swinging shelf.

6. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

Things brown nicely in the sun oven,at least my bread did.It was the best bread I have ever made.

BooBoo

7. praise4him

praise4him Well-Known Member

Saturday or Sunday would be your best bet to cook in it!!
    Really,
    How does it work? Do you have to have a hot sunny day to do it? That sounds so cool! I am just trying to get over to Carver farms sometime this week so I can pick some rasberries to make some jam! Have fun with your new toy!
    As a side note on this 85 degree day....
    I am contemplating getting a snowblower since I am back at work since you informed me that I am now officially in the snowbelt with you folks! That discount may just come in handy!
    Have a blessed day!
    Jennifer
    In Spirit Lake

8. omnicat

omnicat Well-Known Member

I made my own oven - "The Minimum" solar box cooker on this site:
    http://solarcooking.org/plans.htm

It took a couple of cardboard boxes, some wadded newspaper for insulation, aluminum foil, black paint, and a piece of glass. The glass cost me about $3. That, plus a few cents for the foil, was my total cost.

We cooked all summer in it. I never put a thermometer in it, but you could often see the food sizzling when it was just in a black iron skillet with no lid (no lid on the *skillet* - you have to have the galss lid on the oven itself.

It works as long as the sun is shinning. The day itself doesn't have to be hot. Or warm even, as long as the sun is shining! Everything takes about twice as long to cook or bake as conventional - but it's free fuel (the sun), and doesn't heat up the house. (The biggest reason we use it). Cloudy days are a drag - because it won't work then, even if it's hot out.

9. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

what size is it?? How about a cookie sheet for one of the bigger toaster ovens to catch the spills?

10. Lisa in WA

It doesn't have to be hot...just sunny. You can even cook in it in cold weather if it is sunny. Where is Carver Farms?

11. praise4him

praise4him Well-Known Member

Carver farms is just across the Idaho border into Washington. It is about 1/2 an hour or so from Spirit Lake. they also take orders for rasberries and they pick them for you. It is more expensive though. they farm all sorts of stuff!
    Their website is...
    www.carverfarms.com

Blessings,
    Jennifer

12. Rita

Rita Well-Known Member Supporter

I have baked a pumpkin pie in my sun oven and the top and filling were great, but I found the bottom crust did not get real done. We didn't mind. The next time I might cook the pie shell in the regular oven and then put the filling in. The filling is what takes the longest to bake.