Sump pit smells--how to get rid of it?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by NEfarmgirl, Jun 7, 2010.

1. NEfarmgirl

NEfarmgirl Well-Known Member

Our sump pit in the basement is starting to smell really bad and we need to know how to get rid of the odor??? It is not the septic pit--the line for the a/c drains into it and that is it. Would it be safe to put a little bleach in it or will that ruin the sump pump? It only drains every few weeks during the summer--I do pour the water from the dehumidifier in it. A friend said to just pour buckets of water down it to make it drain but that is a waste of good tap water! Any ideas would be appreciated!

2. tinknal

tinknal Well-Known Member Supporter

I would run an abundant amount of water through it. If it still smells then put bleach AND water in it.

3. Daryll in NW FLA

Daryll in NW FLA Well-Known Member

Bleach is the answer!

4. NEfarmgirl

NEfarmgirl Well-Known Member

I will run bleach through it. I was afraid to keep doing that since I didn't know if it would hurt anything. Part of the odor is a metallic smell--rusty but some is nasty water stink too. Thanks!

5. tamsam

tamsam Well-Known Member

Just don't put enough bleach to make the whole basement smell. With my copd DW can take the lid off of the bleach bottle and I have to go out. Good luck with your pump.

6. ronbre

ronbre Brenda Groth Supporter

our old house had a sump pump in the wet basement..we would use bleach to clean the sump pump and then after it cleared a few times we would use baking soda on the floor and sweep it ..and put some in the sump hole too..but not a lot to clog it.