Summer weather for rabbits

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by pourfolkes, Apr 7, 2006.

1. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

I have several NZ rabbits. They are under the cover of a roof, in cages. I live in Mississippi where it is humid and hot in the summer....in the 90s. My question is this: I would like to know how to make an inexpensive mister above the cages to keep them cooled in the summer. What other ways are there to keep them cool that are inexpensive. We were wiped out by Katrina and I don't have alot of money to spend... Thanks

2. KSALguy

KSALguy Lost in the Wiregrass Supporter

popbottles filled with water and frozen put in the cages, is the building in shade? or is the sun directly over it? can you put fans to move the air out there?

3. pourfolkes

pourfolkes Well-Known Member

The sun is not directly on them... it is a shaded area plus there is a lean to roof over them.

4. MaggieJ

MaggieJ Well-Known Member Supporter

How about a trough of water with the end of a length of burlap hanging in it. The burlap will wick the water into its fibres and will cool the surrounding area by evaporation.

Never needed this here on the breezy north shore of Lake Ontario, so I have not worked out the details, but the princple is sound, low-tech and inexpensive. You will have to play with it a bit to figure out the best set-up without restricting air flow too much, but it should give good results. Perhaps someone who has used it will elaborate.

5. hollym

hollym Well-Known Member