Summer vacation June 2007

Discussion in 'Countryside Families' started by Grandmotherbear, Jan 21, 2007.

1. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

I am planning on taking the 13 yr old grandson and the 8 yr old granddaughter on a great tri[ this summer. We'll be tent camping to hold down costs. I bought a huge heavy tent on special last fall-it's bigger than my first apartment I swear ! 9 feet by 11 feet. It has large, large windows, so we can get the cross ventilations- if no rain is forecast I might even leave off the fly- it has a screened roof.
    Dgd and dgs have their own sleeping bags, but I have 2 different cots for them- and an inflatable double bed for me.
    I will be renting a van (approx cost $1000 month ) in case of severe weather we can put down the seat backs and sleep in the van.
    I have a Coleman Stirling cooler which has 3 cool /2 freeze settings for supplies, and of course, propane stove.
    Folding chairs, a handcranked clothes washer, and a food box...
    dgd is a really fussy eater. We'll be doing a lot of PB& J, mac ncheese, fishsticks and chicken nuggets(deep fried ) She can do cold cereal for breakfast dgs and I will do oatmeal or bacon n eggs thanks.
    We plan to first go to Cleveland GA to see babylandgen Hospital Cabigge Patch Kids )and learn a little bit about gem mining and gold panning- Dahlonega GA was the site of the Us first Gold Rush in 1830s-after a few there thence to Mammoth cave World heritage Site in Horse Cave K Y, thence to Ky Horse Farm Park and tours of thoroughbred farms, possibly Ft Boonesborough Living History site Pittsburgh and Museum of the Working Man and the Exhibition Coal Mine then Historic Kennywood Amusement :baby04: Park' Then Buffalo and :) Niagara fallsfor 3 days, then back to FL.
    Grandfatherbear has said he *might *come with us for the for the first week and dear soninlaw wants to join us for the niagara/buffalo portion of the trip.
    I could fly grandfatherbear home out of Atlanta. The train to Buffalo from S FL is only $124 !
    I'll be staying at some KOAs, soe state and federal campgrounds. Will get a wireless card for the notebook, and the grands have game boys and dvd players
    I also have 2 10 inch battery powered fans and can freeze up big chunks of ice in the Stirling cooler to set in front of the fans !
    It'll be a minimum of 3weeks I am SO excited !
    Does anyone know why extra spaces are inserting themselves ??? :shrug:
    Just starting now to contact places for reservations !

2. Nette

Nette Well-Known Member Supporter

I'm soooo jealous! That sounds like FUN!

3. cheapskate

cheapskate Cheap but not free

Sounds like a great trip! KOAs are awesome! We use them almost exclusively. I suggest you join their club and save even more on costs. Especially for that length of time being gone, the savings will add up!

http://www.koa.com/

4. sewing nana

sewing nana Well-Known Member

If there is away you can swing by St. Louis Mo. We took our DGD there last summer. Zoo, Grants'Farm and Science Museum FREE!!!!!! you just have the cost of camping and food etc. They were 9 and 11 we loved it. There is a KOA not to far but costly I thought. Close to 6 flags.

5. teresab

teresab Well-Known Member

Grandmother bear ...we are about 2 hrs from Buffalo. Let me know if I can help you out at all for things to look at in the area...can also recommend camp grounds or you are welcome to set up tent in our back yard if you would like. You you are thinking of stopping in our area let me know the time and I will look up and see what events might be going on.
    Hope you have a great time....planning is half the fun!

6. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

well, now GFB isn't coming with us. It will make a difference in my daily mileage and also if I don't have to take him to Atlanta to fly home. But am still sad that he won't be sharing this fun with us.