Summer trips?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Lisa in WA, Jun 16, 2017.

1. Lisa in WA

Lisa in WA Formerly LisainN.Idaho Supporter

We are leaving tomorrow for a week of "camping" at Glacier National Park. Spending a few days up near Banff and Some hot springs in BC in July and heading east in August for a couple of months. I love road trips. Do you all have any good ones planned?

Oregon1986, kinnb and no really like this.
  2. In The Woods

In The Woods Well-Known Member

We haven't been anywhere even overnight since we've been married for 25 years. Always have critters of some sort to take care of on a daily basis.

RichNC, cfuhrer and nyhunter like this.

3. Hiro

Hiro Well-Known Member

tropical-beach-couple-this-could-be-us-but-we-have-livestock.jpg

We are planning a Disney trip right before fall lambing. We'll see it it works out...I have my doubts.

RichNC, ShannonR, cfuhrer and 4 others like this.
  4. Lisa in WA

We were tied down the whole time we were in the cabin, what with the animals. I'm loving being able to go places now but not really interested in flying..especially overseas though there are still a few places I'd like to see. Horses are boarded and the dog travels with us.

5. no really

no really Well-Known Member

No summer plans, had some surgery and had to get back to work in the meatworld. So stuck in the city for now, planning on a trip to the UK in late fall or early winter. Spend some time with a very good friend :).

RichNC likes this.
  6. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

Depends if we have bottle calves or not on weather we will be going on any trips

ShannonR likes this.
  7. Farmerjack41

Farmerjack41 Member

You will love that trip. Presume you are going north out of Missoula. Stop at St. Ignatius and go to the mission grounds, you will be impressed at the paintings inside the Church. Was done by the baker many years ago. Good luck finding a good REVpark in Kalispell, not much to choose from. The trip thrust the park is breath taking, but there is alto of snow there yet. On the east end of the park check out the huge hotel, made from logs two foot or more in diameter. Was built by the railroad many moons ago. With the weather to be clearing
    next week you should be able to see at the Mt. tops. Have fun and don't be feeding the bears.

8. Farmerjack41

Farmerjack41 Member

Hate that automatic fill in on words, sorry for the mess.

9. Lisa in WA

We take 90 to St. Regis and then wind our way up to West Glacier...already have a spot in the RV park in West Glacier near where the poor mountain biker was killed by the grizzly after surprising it last summer. Hoping the Big Drift at Logans Pass is cleared before we leave...they're working away on it.
    I love the East Glacier Lodge...we visit it most years...and Many Glacier. No feeding the bears but we will be making a trip to the Park Cafe in St. Mary for their famous pie. :)

10. Lisa in WA

Hope you're all recovered from your surgery. The trip sounds fun.

no really likes this.
  11. no really

no really Well-Known Member

Thanks doing great, just a little repair work o_O.

12. Irish Pixie

Irish Pixie *under construction

We're going to Enchanted Forest Water Safari for the day on the 4th with the grand kids. DH and I are going to spend the weekend in Canandaigua at some point. They have a funky little vintage motel I've wanted to visit, and there are some nice wineries and breweries.

In the fall, I'm going to San Diego to visit our youngest daughter and son in law for a week or so.

Oregon1986 and Lisa in WA like this.
  13. Fishindude

Fishindude Well-Known Member Supporter

Heading to our lake house in northern Michigan for a week over the 4th of July with a bunch of family for boating, fishing, camp fires, music, good eating, swimming, etc.

In late August we are doing an Alaska cruise. It starts flying to Fairbanks for about five days of inland sight seeing, Denali, railroad travel, day trips, etc. to Anchorage, then five days of cruising back to Vancouver with a stop every day at a coastal town. We've never done a cruise.

Multiple hunting trips planned for fall.

14. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Thinking about a trip to BC later this year or next. Would like to have the skoolie finished first. Doc was born in the Philippines so the passport might be troublesome.

15. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

Back in the early-1970s (before you were born), a friend of mine and me hiking the Gunsight Pass in Glacier Park. We took the Empire Builder train from Minneapolis to East Glacier and after our hike caught the same train in West Glacier and returned to Minnesota.

The Gunsight Pass goes from the east end of the park to the west end....essentially from LAke St. Mary to Lake McDonald through a mountain pass. It was a beautiful hike especially when we approached the west side near Sperry Chalet and beyond. The only issue we had is that we bought the book "Night of the Grizzlies" at the gift counter of the St. Mary's Lake visitor center before we started our hike. We started to read the book at our first campsite of the hike and didn't stop reading it until we finished it.

WARNING: DO NOT EVER READ THIS BOOK BEFORE OR DURING OVERNIGHT HIKES INTO THE BACK COUNTRY OF GLACIER NATIONAL PARK!!!!

You probably know the story....we didn't back then. It is the true story of grizzly attacks on humans in Glacier at or very near the same trail we were on that happen just a few years before we were there. Needless to say, we were pretty terrified on our hiking adventure. Didn;t get much sleep on the three nights that we were in the backcountry.

16. Lisa in WA

Haha...I was born in 64 but thank you!
    I have read that book and a few others about grizzly attacks and while our cabin was in grizzly country and we saw one, they aren't nearly as plentiful there as they are here. the RV park where we are staying is a half mile from the trail where the mountain biker surprised a grizzly last summer and was killed by her. I just got back from walking my dog on a trail in the woods and I was, I'm sure, annoying loud. Don't want to surprise any bears!
    That must have been an amazing trip though! Glacier is best seen from the backcountry.

17. Shrek

Shrek Singletree Moderator Staff Member

Our summer trips are enjoying our solitude at a private campground where some of us keep our campers on a knoll overlooking the two acre pond with fishing and swim pier on it.

In The Woods likes this.
  18. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Most of our trips are at most couple days because of our Dogs.

Today we went to the Gym and Worked Out then drove about hundred miles to visit my Mother in Law and Sister in Law while she was here from Colorado.

We have other short trips planned. During Deer Season plan on going to our Cabin, I'll be staying there my wife may come spend couple days at a time.

Would like to take a trip to Minnesota in September.

big rockpile

19. cfuhrer

cfuhrer Wood Nymph / Toxophilite

Nothing this year. Because, animals.

Next year we are taking two weeks in July and traveling N. Idaho, MT, then spending time visitng friends we left in WY.

ShannonR likes this.
  20. gilberte

gilberte Well-Known Member Supporter

We went north ('bout 50 miles) this past Sunday to tend to the folks grave site does that count? We used to travel and camp quite a bit but now that we've got our homestead fixed up the way we like it we'd just as soon stay here.:)

AmericanStand likes this.