Summer Storm

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Tango, Jun 9, 2004.

1. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Summer is arriving to south Florida. One can tell when the clouds roll in right after lunchtime. It cools off, darkens slightly, and the winds reach back to the gulfstream, take a deep breath, and let go on the prairie like a five-year old making a wish on his birthday candles. Oak leaves ruffle in more greens than one could have ever imagined. They dance in the coolness of an Atlantic front bringing a 95 F laboring sun to a crisp 80 F fiesta. My guinea hens run in large circles asking who all is invited. The ducks don't know but they waddle swiftly to the pond, not waiting for invitation. They will not miss one minute of complete communion with the sweet and heavy drops of cumulonectar. With the south windows closed at 2 in the afternoon, I think about putting on a sweater but I stay by the glass doors in my dining room imprinting my fingertips on the fogged glass. Outside it is a celebration by mother nature. The frog chorus sings "Allelujah" in an ancient tongue. Mockingbirds and cardinals sing praises. The dead stillness of the South before full summer has seen fit for a party. I slide back the doors, run out in barefeet and dance. We all dance the dance of rain on the prairie.
    Marcia `copyright 2004 ~ all rights reserved
    dedicated to my HT friends

2. Grandmotherbear

Grandmotherbear Well-Known Member Supporter

Very poetic...but to me, 90 and 95% humidity is the same as 82-83 and 95% humidity. The air is still damp and cloying after the storm...Hard to believe I lived in Florida without a/c in the 60's, 70/s and 80's...(Don't mind me- the hydrochlorothiazide for b/p makes me very susceptable to heat prostration)

3. countrygrrrl

countrygrrrl PITA

:D :D :D Really nice! Thanks --- good reading on a rainy evening.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Thank you cg :)
    Grandmotherbear, I live without a/c now (only turn it on for the comfort of guests when they are here om weekends) and have found that my body adapts to the temperatures. Today when it went down to 80 during the storm, I got cold. But I am not on medication- those probably confuse your internal sensors. I have the windows open right now since it stopped raining and will be sleeping with my comforter this evening :)

5. Jan Doling

Jan Doling Well-Known Member

Thanks,Tango, for putting visual poetry into words for me. My great, great grandpa was born in Florida in 1824, as were my mother, myself and my children (at later dates, of course!) Most people focus on the negative (bugs, heat, humidity, hurricanes, gators, snakes) and miss the wonder of our state. I have to use the A/C because of an asthmatic child, but spend my time on the porch soaking up nature. The gooslings love the rain and will beg for a spray from the hose when it's not raining. The temperature changes so much with our afternoon storms that we suffer thru May's droughts saying "Ah, but in June the rains will come", much like the people living in monsoon country.

6. tkrabec

tkrabec Well-Known Member

If I did not work in the AC all day I don't think we'd run ours as much as we do. I just raised the temps to 80 when we are at home and 82 when we are not. U may raise that to 84.

-- Tim

7. OUVickie

OUVickie Well-Known Member Supporter

That's beautiful Marcia!

When I was eight we visited my Aunt in Tampa. I remember the afternoon showers so vividly - they were beautiful! I loved the smell of the rain and the salt air, it has a very unique smell and it made you feel like you were dancing in the ocean! :)
    The humidity doesn't bother me, since it's Oklahoma is humid, but it is different when it comes off the sea. Two years ago we visited Hawaii and I was reminded of that when we landed in Kona. We slept with the doors open. I loved it!