Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
416 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need suggestions for varieties. I planted a zuchini striata that died from borers before it set fruit. The pattypan squash--that gold one with the deep green circle--recovered from borer surgery and has been resistant to squash bugs, but the plant is so dense and compact ( it is beautiful) that I haven't been able to get inside it to harvest the squash--I'm sort of allergic to the spiny things on the leaves and stems.

So, for next year--can anyone suggest a variety that is resistant to sq. bugs, even to borers, but lies close to the ground so I can get to the squash? Tasting good and being a prolific bearer would be nice, too. Wild spreading habit would not be a problem.

·
Registered
400 Posts
When you say "summer squash", I assume that you mean c. pepo varieties picked in the immature state, like zucchini and yellow squash. From what I've seen, c. pepo summer squash varieties that are squash bug and borer-resistant are in developement, but not yet available.

C. moschata varieties of squash (like butternut) are resistant (though not impervious) but are generally grown as winter squash. The link below has a discussion about c. moschata varieties used in other parts of the world as summer squash. It might be able to guide you towards some specific varieties to try. I might just have to try it too!

Summer Moschatas

This might also be good:

Genovese Squash

·
Registered
183 Posts
We've been growing "Black Beauty" zucchini. While some do succumb to squash vine borers, they have usually produced WAY MORE than we can possibly eat/freeze/giveaway by that time.

On 8 plants this year, we've already harvested over 200 pounds. Yes. 200 pounds of zukes. It's insane!

·
Registered
763 Posts
I too like the Black Beauty Zukes. I plant those each year along with Early Yellow Straighneck squash. Resistant to bugs or borers-I don't know. Take Care.

·
Registered
7,576 Posts
I can't specifically suggest any that are resistant to squash bugs, but I really liked growing Sunburst summer squash. It's prolific and tasty, very versatile vegetable.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts