Summer kitchen stove?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by HarleysMom, Sep 28, 2004.

1. HarleysMom

HarleysMom Well-Known Member

I want to build a summer kitchen next year with a wood burning stove of some kind but I don't have a clue about wood burning stoves. I just have a lot of mesquite, dried and ready to use. Any suggestions about what kind of stove to buy or is there one I could make from bricks or rock?

2. HarleysMom

Does anyone have a summer kitchen? If so, what do you use to cook with?

3. mistletoad

mistletoad Well-Known Member Supporter

I don't have a summer kitchen but I want one. I want one for canning because we have a tiny kitchen with almost no counter space and only a single sink (no room to put a double either). I hadn't really thought about using a wood stove in one, makes sense though if you have the wood and venting has to easier in an outdoors kitchen!

4. Haggis

Haggis MacCurmudgeon

Herself cooks on a wood cookstove year 'round. Hers is a Finley Sweet Heart or some such. It's not bad fo heating the house if the windows are open, on the other hand if one closes the windows it heats the house until nearly Christmas and from March on.

We burn birch, pople, ash, and whatever we can get.

5. Grandma's Cabin

Grandma's Cabin Well-Known Member

Well...

It's not using a wood stove. But I bought the Rival stainless steel electric skillets (16" and 12") they are wonderful... pancakes never stick (as long as you heat it up before putting in the first batch) I can fry chicken in it and never burns... just real even cooking. Also bought a rival stainless 8 quart electric stock pot. With that and an old 2 burner hot plate my MIL had, I have 5 burners basically that I can use out on my screened porch in the summer when I don't want to heat up the house.

Then I can use them indoors in winter when we have extra company (big family on my side and on my daughter's in-laws side) I sometimes have 30 to 50 people to feed for a few days in a row!

Grandma

6. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

I have cooked outside over a twig cooker made with an empty coffee can. It is ok in a pinch but I wouldn't want to do it long term. I've also used a habachi. It was easier, but still a hassle. Have you thought about building a hondo?

edited to add;

I went googling and found this site for rocket stoves:

http://wings.interfree.it/html/Elbow.html

7. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

I used to have a summer kitchen setup. It consisted of a large home-made stone BBQ grille and a Coleman camp stove set up to run off of LP. The Grille was large enough for two canners, and the front was under a picinic shelter with a steel woodstove chimney anchored to the shelter roof.. The Coleman was taken down during the winter. The 'fridge was outdoors- an antique 1930s era Servel. It still worked although it did give off CO, which is why it was outside. More than enough counter space, served double duty for washing clothes year round and storing firewood during the winter months.

8. HarleysMom

I am thinking about building a screen enclosed out building with a wood stove in it for summer cooking. It would have large hinged window covers that open up in the summer to shade the window areas, and can close in the winter. I want to put bunks in for company and be able to use the wood stove for heat in the winter. It would be nice sleeping out there in the summer. Just something I would like to do but just not sure about the wood stove part of it. It will get below freezing here sometimes but is usually well above freezing during the winter day. I jsut need a small wood stove. I don't bake, can't eat wheat, so just need a cooktop. Are there any small wood cook stoves out there?

9. insanity

insanity Well-Known Member

http://www.vogelzang.com/ Some one posted this link a few days ago.Scroll down to the box wood.They said TSC carries these or can order them,for around 150 i think it was.

If it was me.Id look into building a brick fireplace that stuck out in the room the distance of a wood stove.Leave the front open like a fireplace.But put a 1/4 thick piece of steal over top of the fire,with a lip hanging down in front like around 4inches to make sure the smoke went up the chimney. A welding shop would be glad to cut the top to fit and weld on the over hanging piece.I wouldn't think this or the cost of the brick would be to high.

They make a caulking for fireplaces/wood stoves that could be used to fill any gap around the top to prevent smoking.Ive used it to seal up a thimble for a wood stove it works great.Also don't forget to install a damper in the chimney.

10. bornanew

bornanew Well-Known Member

We bought a turkey fryer last year on clearance at Wal-Mart. So far we have used it for a turkey at a get together, cooking large amounts of sweet corn (came with a really cool basket), frying fish and french fries with a shallow pot that my dad gave us because he never used the one that came with his, and I just put up 15 pints of salsa by hotwater bath on it out side (didn't have to heat up the house :D )
    I would really like to get another for next canning season. We use our gas grill all summer and the crockpot is a life saver on hot days and not heating up the house. Maybe our next house I can create a type of summer kitchen. ;)

Born Anew

11. Gayle in LA

Gayle in LA Well-Known Member

Last I saw Lehman's had a kerosene 2 or 3 burner stove that you could also get a stovetop oven box for. Cheaper and simpler than a woodburner.

12. HarleysMom

I want a woodburning solution because I have several large piles of dried mesquite wood, probably enough for a couple of years, and I tend to get more piles of mesquite every year as I have more of the mesquite cleared out. I might as well use it for cooking. Just seems more practical to use what I have.

Insanity, I had begun thinking along the lines of a fireplace also. I have a book on how to build a kiva style fireplace and that might be adapted to use a steel plate in. It doesn't need to be pretty, just functional. I also have a book on how to build an earthen oven, so maybe that is the way to go. Installing a wood stove just sounds easier but I am not sure it would be better since I don't know much about wood burning stoves or fireplaces, for that matter.

13. angus_guy

angus_guy Well-Known Member

W.oak

I am in the process of finishing my smoker (birthday present from kids SOME assembly required)

http://webpages.charter.net/rgmcelroy/Smoker_40.jpg

I am not sure if this is going to a pic or an url (I am so naive)

I was looking for the "outline of the mountain and the sun"

This is my first brick project ( it has taken a month but... my head is still swelling )

14. WanderingOak

WanderingOak Well-Known Member

That's a lot more elaborate than what I had. Mine was just made out of mortared fieldstone. Nothing fancy, and free save for the labor required to assemble it. Once I get someplace permanent, I will build another.