Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is anyone else tired of the high temperatures? I love Fall, Winter & Spring, but there are other places I'd rather be than in the South in the Summertime. I'm really getting lazy. I don't want to go outside for any reason. I tell myself that the weeds will still be there waiting for me when the weather cools off. I'm thankful for A/C. I have a cold, so maybe that's one reason I'm having a Pity Party.

·
Premium Member
2,906 Posts
its 11:20 at nite and i have to get up at 5:20. it is fricken hot (it was 104 today and the house is not cooling down) and i cant sleep---my ac is on the fritz. my yard is burned, my flowers are heading there and my garden is also full of weeds but it is too hot to care. i think i will go take another cold bath.

·
72 Posts
this heat is somethin fierce. we went camping yesterday/last night. even took a box fan with us to put in the tent. sweated all night, humid as all get out! needless to say, at 8 this morning we were packing it up and heading home...with sweat just pouring off just taking down the tent.

ready for fall!

·
Premium Member
5,256 Posts
You sound just like me. I do not like the summer weather at all. Use to love winter but now it's taking a toll on me, too, but only when it's very cold. So that just leaves spring and fall and they never seem to last long enough for me. :)

·
Registered
284 Posts
Even up here in the Northern Rockies is a heat wave. We're longing for cold weather up here, too.
I try and do my normal chores/routine, and get dizzy and faint-ish with the hot weather.
Bummer.
The sweat runs and drips into my eyes, just pours down my tmeples. I'm eating a pinch of sheep minerals/salt daily trying to keep up. Wet towel on my head helps some.

·
Premium Member
3,845 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Since my husband has health problems that prevent him from doing a lot outside, especially in extreme heat or cold, most chores are mine. Usually, the first cool snap, I get a burst of energy, so that's what I'm looking forward to, but it won't be for another couple of months.

·
Registered
2,492 Posts
Oh yeah, sick of it, but am trying to keep in mind that we only have August and Sept. to go yet, and then temps will moderate somewhat in October. It's nearly August already.

I have been doing my outside chores in small increments. I don't know if it is because I am getting older or what, but whereas I used to just go out and work for hours at a time without resting, now I find I'm lucky if I can work for 20 to 30 minutes without having to come in and cool down in the air conditioning during the hottest parts of the day. Got way dehydrated a couple weeks ago, learned my lesson the hard way.

I've been trying to get some things done inside, I need to get busy again and finish the woodwork in the house. I have to sand and paint and then put on a bunch of baseboard and some trim, but I don't even feel like doing that.

·
Dreaming of autumn....
285 Posts
You aren't alone! Summer heat always gets me down. I get so tired of being cooped up in an air conditioned house. Thankfully, we had a stretch last week of several days in the 70's and lows in the 50's at night. It was fabulous weather for July, especially the cooler mornings. Even for September it would have been nice! I find I can deal with the higher temps a lot better if I get a cool morning and can open the house up and get some fresh air and outside sounds if only for a few hours.

Like Country Lady said, I get a huge burst of energy when the summer temps leave.

I don't know how you folks in the South do it. Six weeks of hot and/humid weather here in the summer and I'm about crawling the walls. How do you live with it for months on end? I gladly take the trade-off of a cold and snowy winter instead of heat and humidity. Winter is at least cozy. Summer heat is just blech.

Sallie

·
Registered
87 Posts
This has been one of the mildest July's that I can remember, at least here in W Virginia with the temp's averaging around 77-78 in the daytime and 50's at night.

Nice weather.

·
An Ozark Engineer
13,435 Posts
Me, too! The summer's heat really takes its toll on me. (I like to blame it on my Eastern Euorpean ancestry.) But I try to remind myself that the tomatoes, cucumbers, peppers and the rest of the veggies LOVE it.

Like RoseGarden, I do my chores in small increments when it's really hot. Then I must go inside for a cooldown. And it's a real pain to work up the courage to get outside and take care of the next increment.

I have a huge barn fan pointed right at me for when I'm milking and that helps a good bit.

Fall, Winter and Spring are best for me; that's when I get my bursts of energy.

NeHi

·
Registered
11,511 Posts
Well when I got up this mornin I looked at the thermoter and it was 58 degrees. That will give the most of the morning to do what i need to do.

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
I try to do garden chores and such in the early morning and late afternoon interspersed with wading as far out in the lake as I can go and just floating. Tain't very cooling, neither.
We do a lot of manual removal of pond algae- the infamous "raking the lake" I keep refferring to- with a fine mesh dip net. trouble is this kills my back anymore, evem though DH totes the bucketfulls to the plants needing mulch.
I am ready to become a snowbird!!!
I try to read a lot in re:arctic and antarctic exploration books in summer also. "North to the Night" by Alvah ___(?) a neat story of a huy who spent the winter frozen in his boat in Pond Inlet during the polar winter is good, as are the stories of earnest Shackleton's expedition.
My question is- when did the UV Scale go from 1-10 to 1-12?I noticed our newspaper no longer prints a row of UV risk 10s anymore- they are all 12s. Plus sometimes, when I;m out in the sun, I can actually feel a stinging deep in my skin- like being snapped with a rubber band.
But I can't stay inside all the time- I feel happiest after sun exposure and fresh air.... :shrug: my dermotologist is making a fortune off me...

1 - 12 of 12 Posts