Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,284 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ahhhhh....summer camp. the mere mention of it brings back happy memories from my childhood. I remember the time we toilet-papered a skinny kid from the next cabin to a tree. It took a lot of paper, but we got him stuck up there so he couldn't get out. We had to pay for the paper.

Here's a letter I gave the parents who were sending their kids with me on a three-day campout, just so they'd see everything was going to be okay.

Letter From Camp
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Dear Mom & Dad:

We are having a great time here at Lake Typhoid. Mister Holton is making us all write to our parents in case you saw the flood on TV and worried. We are OK. Only 1 of our tents and 2 sleeping bags got washed away. Luckily, none of us got drowned because we were all up on the mountain looking for Chad when it happened.
Oh yes, please call Chad's mother and tell her he is OK. He can't write because of the cast. I got to ride in one of the search & rescue jeeps. It was neat. We never would have found him in the dark if it hadn't been for the lightning. Mister Holton got mad at Chad for going on a hike alone without telling anyone. Chad said he did tell him, but it was during the fire so he probably didn't hear him. Did you know that if you put gas on a fire, the gas can will blow up? The wet wood still didn't burn, but one of our tents did. Also some of our clothes. John is going to look weird until his hair grows back.

We will be home on Saturday if Mister Holton gets the car fixed. It wasn't his fault about the wreck. The brakes worked OK when we left. Mr. Holton said that a car that old you have to expect something to break down; that's probably why he can't get insurance on it. We think it's a neat car. He doesn't care if we get it dirty, and if its hot, sometimes he lets us ride on the tailgate. It gets pretty hot with 10 people in a car. He let us take turns riding in the trailer until the highway patrolman stopped and talked to us.
Mr. Chuck is a neat guy. Don't worry, he is a good driver. In fact,
he is teaching Terry how to drive. But he only lets him drive on the
mountain roads where there isn't any traffic. All we ever see up there are logging trucks. This morning all of the guys were diving off the rocks and swimming out in the lake. Mister Holton wouldn't let me because I can't swim and Chad was afraid he would sink because of his cast, so he let us take the canoe across the lake. It was great. You can still see some of the trees under the water from the flood. Mr. Holton isn't crabby like some Misters. He didn't even get mad about the life jackets. He has to spend a lot of time working on the car so we are trying not to cause him any trouble.

Guess what? We have all passed our first aid merit badges. When Dave dove in the lake and cut his arm, we got to see how a tourniquet works. Also Wade and I threw up.
Mister Holton said it probably was just food poisoning from the leftover chicken. I have to go now. We are going into town to mail our letters and buy bullets. Don't worry about anything. We are fine.

Love,
Cole

P.S. How long has it been since I had a tetanus shot?
(BTW, I did not write this - I adapted it from an earlier letter someone sent me.)

So what fun experiences did you have at summer camp?

·
Premium Member
18,008 Posts
Funny you should ask this question. Last Friday, WIHH and I, on a whim, visited my old Boy Scout camp. I hadn't seen the place since the late-1960s. They put visitor wrist bands on us and then let us roam and visit. This was/is a big Scout camp. I'd venture to say that there were 50 scout troops there and over 1000 scouts. Oh, it brought back the memories. I guess that I had camping there for five, maybe six, summers....each of those summer camps lasted two weeks. We camped in tents, bathed in the lake, hauled our water, and cooked our own food. What great times I had at Many Point Scout Reservation

·
Registered
2,230 Posts
...well I did get set on fire at souct camp one time.......propane reefer sitting on a pallet....lots of rain so the pallet was soaked....younger kid decides to fill a coleman lantern on the pallet...gas spills and runs under the reefer and catches fire...pallet, gas can, and lantern all on fire.....while I am getting kids away from the burning reefer the young kid responsible grabs his lantern and runs spilling gas down my shirtless back....couldn't drop and roll since all the ground around me was on fire.....ran a bit then rolled to put the fire out.....procedures for filling lanterns changed after that incident and I hardly have any scars at all......fond memories of Indian Ridge Boy Scout camp...

·
Registered
41 Posts
I was in Scoutana. A girl scout camp. The boys were situated across the lake from us. One day We found a HUGE giant mushroom and marked red in the veins of it to look like a brain and stuck it under a kids pillow. Seems silly now but at the time it seemed fitting to do. It was a blast there and we got to sleep in tree house type cabins. Oh, the memories. Thanks!

·
Premium Member
1,402 Posts
When I was a kid, I went to church camp at Camp Cedar Crest In the San Bernadino Mountains of California. After I graduated from college, I became a Jr. High youth pastor and took my youth group there for camp. The first night I got into my bunk, I looked up at the wood supporting the bunk above me and found the words, "Lori was here 1985"

In a campground filled with about 20 five room cabins, with each room housing at least 12 bunks, who would have thought I would end up sleeping in the same bunk I had used in Jr. High? I didn't show the kids, because I didn't want them breaking out the markers and doing their own decorating.

·
bunny slave
4,389 Posts
Well, there was summer camp, and there was the one-week Girl Scout Camp every year. I enjoyed both. At summer camp, I sucked it up and agreed to be the best friend of this really weird girl, because, well, her family lived across the street from the camp and had half a dozen horses. :cool: She was bizarre and a compulsive liar, but at least I got to ride all summer.

And the boys on the other end of camp...yeah, good memories there, too. :cool:

I forget how far I got in swimming, but I may have graduated to "Barracuda" or something before the end of the summer. :)

·
Registered
1,066 Posts
I used to go to church camp at Camp Wanake for a week in the summer. I used to love the night hikes through the woods. There was lots of this fungus there that they called "foxfire". At night it glows in the dark and especially as a kid, was really cool. I've often thought about stopping by the camp one of these days just to see how things have changed.

·
Premium Member
9,245 Posts
I didn't get to go leepaway camp till my son joined Boy Scouts and I was an ASM (assistant scoutmaster for High Adventure)
We took those Florida boys to the carolina and Tennesee mountains, and to all 3 Northern Tier High Adventure canoe bases- 1 in BWCA and 1 in NW Ontario and 1 in Manitoba.
Ah, the time we filled one Scoutmasters tent with balloons-the "corn wars" (I am sure those farmers knew that it was scouts grabbing those ears to use as projectiles)the shaving cream fights, the time I limped out of the shower after a scorpion stung me on the rear and asked the scoutmaster who was standing guard for me if he was my friend (His answer? A scorpion stung you on the butt- NO I am NOT your friend!) The young men coming back fromes-
spelunking in totally claymired jeans and tees-
You've got me missing summer camp now SOB!
Funny, the worst homesickness I EVER had was attending council camp right here 30 miles from home. It was horrible to be so hot and sweaty and away from Grandfatherbear when home, ac and he were only a half hour drive away...

1 - 9 of 9 Posts