Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
2,812 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have not had time to run indoor plumbing in my cabin since I moved in here.....and I still don't have time. I've been hauling water in and out and using a composting toilet.

It's located in Texas....normally have mild winters. I have water stubbed up to a spigot not far from the house. This is a tiny cabin. I'm going to install a shower and put in a kitchen sink and that is going to be it for plumbing. Not even going to have a hot water heater.

So I am thinking....since I am only here spring through fall....why not just connect my plumbing with an RV water hose? I could come up through the floor with the hose and install a gasket around it so that critters can't get in. In the winter when I am gone I could just roll up the hose and block off the opening in the floor. That way I won't have to worry about busted pipes. Also saves me crawling up under the house with all the spiders and other creepy crawlies!

Any major significant problems with this idea? I'm really tired of hauling water in and out.

·
mean people suck
2,532 Posts
It sounds good to me but I am no plumber lol anything that keeps you from crawling under the house and gets you water without hauling it has to be a winner:)

·
Premium Member
2,184 Posts
I assume you are on city water at the spigot?? If so you may want to install a pressure reducing valve before the water hose as the pressure is most likely pretty high. A water hose can handle it for a little while, but especially in the heat of the day when the rubber is soft it will stretch and the pressure will eventually rupture it. The constant pressure as opposed to how you normally use a hose is the issue as normal use lets it contract back down. A pressure reducing valve is common for water systems, so your local hardware store should have one, or a local plumber will know where to get one. That would be the only issue I wold see with a water hose. Besides being inside at night all cozy, to wake up and find the hose ruptured for some other reason and you just filled up your house or ran $100.00 worth of water out in the yard. If I did it with a hose I would probably plan to only turn it on when in use, even if the pressure was not a concern. But I would sure run a hose before I continued to pack water, even if I had to simply open a window and stick the hose through for the summer!!

·
Haney Family Sawmill
1,219 Posts
When plumbing your house as a summer cabin think of the drainage. If you will put all plumbing on an angle (Slight is fine) so that the waters lowest point is a spigot it is easy to keep everything safe. Just turn on the outside spigot and all is drained out. This is a simple idea that is overlooked in most setups on a summer situation.
Also pex is the preferred material since it can expand if frozen.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts