Sulphur Water Anyone?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by katlupe, Aug 26, 2005.

1. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Does anyone have experience with sulphur water and what to do about it, if you just can't stand it?

When I was a kid and my family moved to FL, we had sulphur water and my parents had a new well drilled and that well wasn't sulphur. Dh had the opposite experience with his family, they had a new well drilled and that was sulphur, but they used it anyway.

My friends just bought a house and found out it had sulphur water and they hate it. Is their only option a new well? Or is there a filter of some sort that really works?

Thanks.

2. momanto

momanto SW FLORIDA HAPPYLAND

Our House Water Goes Directly From The Well Into An Aerator Tank. The Top Is A Fitted Screen. Then It Is Pumped By Another Pump Into A Water Softener- Then The Water Goes Into The House Water Line. This Whole Contraption Is In A Small Building By Itself. Our Aerator Tank Is Plywood Painted With Fiberglass Inside And Outside.. You Can Buy The Setup At Home Depot - Their Tank Is Metal With The Inside Painted W/fiberglass. The Tank Is About $300.00 Dont Know How Much For The Plumbing Part Of It. This Eliminates The S. Taste And Smell.

Myself, If I Want Drinking Water I Take Jugs Out To The Well Itself Before It Goes Thru Anything. Was Raised On S. Water. It Has Natural Flouride And No One In Our Town Growing Up Ever Had A Cavity.

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

If you are talking about the water stinks kinda like sulphur-------then I have sulphur water. What I did to get rid of the smell is to add air to the water. I did this by using another tank(a 40 gal I already had). The water comes out the well-goes into the New Bladder tank---leaves it and goes into this tank and comes out the other side-----------I added a air valve to the entrance side of the tank by using a "T". I take a air tank filled with air to the well location about ever 3 to 4 weeks(have 5 homes on my well) and cut the pump off--------open the outside faucet then shoot air into the tank till I push most of the water out of the 2nd tank,(just like if it was water-logged) then close faucet, turn on pump-------------Be good to go for a few more weeks, then I will notice a little smell coming back into the water---------Do it again!! They make a air injector that add's air daily I was told, but I never checked into it-----Hey I need the exercise anyway. I have heard of people that will fill containers and let them sit on the counter or put them in the fridge to remove the smell. Hope this helps!! Randy

4. Lararose

Lararose Adams Nebraska

When I lived in Washington State we had a house with sulfur and iron in the well. The water smelled like rotten eggs and all our clothes turned orange. We had to use iron out in the washing machine. We did install a whole house filter that wasn't too complicated and it was cheap. We just changed the filter when the smell came back. Our neighbors installed a water softener to solve their problem.

5. katlupe

katlupe Off-The-Grid Homesteader Supporter

Thanks for the answers!

6. mysticokra

mysticokra Well-Known Member

Sulfur smells can also originate with certain bacteria that live off the sulfur in the well. You can pour clorox down the well, leave it for an hour and then run it until the system in flushed and eliminate a lot of that. We do that about twice a year and things work great.