Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I bought a house at a tax sale a few weeks ago. The old owners put loose sulphur on all the carpets and furniture and left. I moved out the furniture and ripped up the old carpet. I painted it and all is well there. Now I cant get the smell out of my clothes, truck or my personal home. Any ideas PLEASE !!!! I dont need to remodel it yet.

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
What does your water supply smell like?
OR
could it be the smell of leaking gas?
No this is a rental I was working on . Its fine now I just carried the smell on my clothes back to my house and cant get rid of the smell. The shirt I'M wearing now has been washed 4 times and I still smell it.

·
I calls em like I sees em
13,911 Posts
Tried Febreeze? Sprinkle baking soda on the truck interior and let sit awhile, then vacuum?

·
Premium Member
3,179 Posts
Try adding Baking Soda to the wash - at least a 1/4 cup and put Vinegar in the fabric softener (at least 1/2 cup) so it goes through the rinse cycle.
Those two will usually neutralize smells.

·
Banned
8,092 Posts
The smell of sulfur is often associated with evil.

Cats tend to soak up evil, so perhaps they might also soak up the smell of sulfur.
smells NOTHING like sulfur. :yuck:

·
Registered
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The smell of sulfur is often associated with evil.

Cats tend to soak up evil, so perhaps they might also soak up the smell of sulfur.
I guess I'll just deal with the smell.... I hate cats tooooooo!

·
Registered
11,379 Posts
Put a cup of white vinegar in your truck, close it up & let it sit as long as possible - 24 hours or more if possible.

From past experience (not with sulphur smell) I don't think Febreeze works long term.

Was this a "get back at ya" moment to pour sulfur over everything? I can't imagine someone doing something as mean as that.

T

·
0 Posts
DE works as a deodorizer. As does baking soda. As does vinegar.

Dust the house's carpet with DE and then vacuum it up after letting it marinade for a while with the heat on in the place...
DE is tough on vacuums, dump often and tap that filter out a LOT!
Ditto with Baking Soda.

·
Premium Member
1,623 Posts
To overcome the smell, get cheap imitation vanilla extract (works even better than the more delicate and much more expensive real stuff), pour some in a bowl, lock up your clothes in the vehicle with the bowl, leave as long as possible up to a day or so. Open up and shake clothes occasionally can help, but is not essential.

This works on many smells, and is cheap. I think a little of it is the vanilla essence absorbing the smell, but mostly it's just overpowering it - our sense of smell is better tuned to vanilla than most other smells.

Also helps to add a couple of drops (NOT MUCH) of the imitation vanilla essence to both the wash and rinse cycles when washing clothes.

·
Premium Member
7,030 Posts
When I lived in Texas, you could use sulfur to get rid of bugs....heck, you can even dust yourself with sulfur to keep ticks off of you.

Mon

1 - 20 of 23 Posts