Sulfur Smell In Well Water

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Susan Mary, Jul 11, 2006.

1. Susan Mary

Susan Mary Well-Known Member

Sulfur smell in well water.

We have recently moved into a small home on 5 acres of land. This is an older home approx 30 years old. The well water has a sulfur smell which makes it impossible to drink from the tap. Coffee, cold tea, cooking no problem as the smell seems to disappear with the heat (unlike the hot water in the washing machine which smells worst). Other than a new well, expensive water filter both seems to be well in the thousands are there any suggestions other than purchase bottle water.

Thank you in advance. Susan

2. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

Susan, more than likely you don't have any air space in your holding tank, which is normal for a bladder tank but not for the older tank that usually had a air volume control(AVC) on it to keep it from getting water logged. The AVC usually don't last long. If you have the old tank--adding air to the tank with a air compressor will take most if not all the sulfar smell out of the water in a day or so. If you have a new style tank---------------what I did was add a second tank(old style) after the bladder tank. I have to add air to this tank on a monthly basis---if I forget----the sulfur smell will start back till I go and add air. There is a device that can be added--like a air injector, but for the price of the one I was quoted------I will take the air tank and add air once a month. Another thing you can do till you get it fixed is run some water into a container at a fast pace allowing air bubbles to get into the water and let it sit for a while--this will help---you can sit it in the fridge if you want. Good Luck!! Randy

3. Micahn

Micahn Well-Known Member

If you have a water softener then they have some stuff that you can add into that to help take the smell out.
    Besides that like you said above they also make a filter just for that. But if you happen to already have a water softener then the cheapest way would be to add that other stuff to it. How it works is you take off the top of the softener (not the brine tank where the salt goes). And it just mixes with the other stuff in the softener. The salt brine cleans it when the softener cycles just like a regular softener.

4. floramum

floramum Well-Known Member

In Florida, We Pump Water From The Well Into An Aerator Tank. Then From There It Is Pumped To The House Or In Our Case We Then Pump It Into A Water Softener.

The Aerator Tank Systems Are About $300.00 At Home Depot. The Water Enters It Thru Spray Nozzles. The Lid Has Screen Air Holes Around It So The Sulphuric Gas Can Escape.

5. whiterock

whiterock Well-Known Member Supporter

Fill a pitcher and put it in the refrigerator. Had a relative that did that.
    it worked for him.

6. 1GandJ1

1GandJ1 Well-Known Member

We have installed a whole house filter and use the charcoal filter element. It lasts a few weeks depending on the water use. When the smell creeps back I just put in a new filter and its gone. Cost me about $30.00 to install the filter housing.

7. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

Your problem is referred to as SRB (sulfur reducing bacteria). place sulfur reducing bacteria in google and start reading.

8. goatlady

goatlady Well-Known Member Supporter

I just keep filled 3-4 gallon milk jugs with water, the smell evaporates over night and the water is fine. What gets me is filling the bathtub - if I wait until the smell is gone the water is cold!! You get used to it eventually, but the dog won't drink it unless the water comes from the milk jugs.

9. Horselover

Horselover Joyce

We have this problem at my little country church. This is what you do.
    Turn off the water pump and open all faucets and drain all the water out of the pipes.

Now take a gallon of Clorax and pour down your well. Turn water pump on. Run water until you smell bleach in the water. Turn off all faucets and do not use for 24 hours.

After 24 hours turn on a water hose outside and run until you do not smell anymore bleach. Now you are ready to use your water.

This works. Let me know if you do it.

10. minnikin1

minnikin1 Shepherd

You got a lot of conflicting info here.
    That's because there is more than one reason you can get that smell.

If you have a water softener already, it's likely bacteria build up in that system, and you need to kill the bacteria by shocking with chlorine.
    If you don't have a softener, it's probably sulphur gas and you just need to allow the gas to escape. That can be done with an aerator or the proper tanks, as the other folks described.

We have the problem, too. Ours is gas in the water, which made me happy because the solution isn't toxic or expensive....

Good luck!

11. Pick-Axe

Pick-Axe Member

12. stirfamily

stirfamily Well-Known Member Supporter

Our well also has sulfur. We have a kinetico softner system that removes it. It was worth the $$.
    karen