Sulfur powder?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Sparticle, Aug 8, 2009.

1. Sparticle

Sparticle Well-Known Member Supporter

We have a chigger problem and I don't want to nuke the yard. I've read about putting sulfur powder in a pillow case and dragging that around the yard and putting the powder in your socks and on your pants. I also have to go into the woods quite a bit so I need something for myself. I've tried all sorts of natural sprays and I am getting fewer bites, though still getting bitten.

Is this a natural product? Will it hurt kittens or other animals? Anyone have experience with this?

I treated the paths with (non swimming pool) Diatomaceous earth but don't have enough to treat the whole yard. I'll go buy more if that's the best bet.

Anyone have any ideas for natural treatment of the yard and people? I know to keep the paths cut. All comments about traditional "nuke 'em" chemical pesticides will just be ignored (by me anyway).

2. pookshollow

pookshollow Pook's Hollow

I don't know about chiggers (don't even know what they are!), but a couple of my goats had lice and I sprinkled them with DE and sulphur powder. Lice were completely gone the next day and haven't come back.

I'd say it's worth a try.

zora4you likes this.

3. Tricky Grama

Tricky Grama Well-Known Member

We buy sulphur by the 50# bags. Found it at Home Despot one yr but not since & I know it's hard to come by sometimes. I think feed stores will carry it.
    We have an old sock full of it & tied at the top that we dust on ourselves-especially shoes, socks, waist- as soon as we step onto our land. Have had NO chigger bites or ticks using this.
    Once we dusted the area where guests were going to be sitting & that seemed to work well too.

4. Old Vet

Old Vet In Remembrance

Sulfur power is a natural product and will not hurt moat animals except to repel them. What I do is to mix sulfur power 50% with talcum power 50% to make it smell good then dust myself with it before going into places that have chiggers or ticks. I get mine at any pharmacy. It doesn't take much.

5. Sparticle

Thanks! I'll try to find it in town.

6. ldc

ldc Well-Known Member Supporter

Sparticle, it's also called flowers of sulfur at some old fashioned places. It works! Used to dust the dogs when I was doing some rescues, to kill the mites from the newcomers (the kind of mites that cause one kind of mange). It also swiftly killed the ones on me! ldc

7. empofuniv

empofuniv Well-Known Member

If you are talking about the yellow powder sulfur - I remember that coming in a round cardboard container like an oatmeal container about 50+ yrs ago back in OK.

My G'ma would make a pile of it in a pie pan and burn it before we moved into a new place to "clean out the bugs". She may have sprinkled it around the floor/wall junctures too. I don't remember for sure.

I can still remember the taste and texture of a spoon with sulfur on it covered w molasses that we had to take every spring to "clean out what ails ya."

G'ma was a great believer in sulfur she was.

And I have to say I don't remember ever having a tick as a child, and not very many chiggers either. I had more chiggers the week I spent back in OK this past June than I remember ever having all summer as a child.

Pam

8. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

Well shut my mouth! I never knew sulpher would kill chiggers. And to think of all the years I've suffered with the devils.

So, if it works on mange mites, would it be safe to dust on my chickens for mites?

9. whodunit

whodunit Well-Known Member Supporter

When I was a kid we ate dried fruit that had sulfur on it for keeping the ticks off of us.

Worked really well.

Hmm this thread has got me to thinking.... I wonder if the sulfur powder would work for fly prevention on my milk cow?

10. EDDIE BUCK

EDDIE BUCK Well-Known Member Supporter

LOL,get ready to shut it again.Me and another fellow was taking the skirting down from around an old ladies mobilehome because she was moving.Well,when I was looking where to start,I noticed some yellow stuff on the ground all the way around it.

I asked the lady what it was,she said flowers of sulphur she had sprinkled around it,because someone saw a snake go under it and it kills snakes.:rolleyes:Yea, right, I thought.Anyway after about half the skirting was off,to my suprize there was a dead copperhead a bigun:eek:Did the sulphur kill the snake?I don't know,but what I do know is,when the good Lord calls us home,He's got more than one tool to get the job done.

Maybe He used sulphur for the tool to turn this snakes lights out.The thing about Gods calling is,when He calls,you going,whether its sulphur or flour or whatever,its "LIGHTS OUT"just hope the snake was ready. lol eb

11. FintanK

FintanK New Member

I add a very small amount of sulphur powder to my dogs dry food to stop ticks which are a big problem where I live.

It must be working because they have never had ticks.

On the same trail of thought I also put a couple of large cloves of garlic in the dogs water bucket and a small peice of copper pipe as well. All these measures allegedly make the dogs a less attractive target for biting insects.

For more technical information as to why these measures are effective I would suggest people read books by Pat Coleby. The best one in my opinion is "Natural Farming".

12. Txsteader

Txsteader Well-Known Member

LOL, you just never know. What I do know is that I'm going to get some sulpher powder from the feed store Monday morning. :D

13. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

I use sulfur (called elemental sulfur here) to lower the pH in soil before I plant blueberries, but sulfur is also used, if I remember correctly, for pest control in organic gardening, so that should be a product you'd be comfortable with, sparticle. How's it going in MO, J?

14. LWMSAVON

LWMSAVON Well-Known Member

never heard that about sulfur killing snakes. I know that moth balls will repel them but if sulfur will kill them, I'm gonna go buy me a big ol' bag. I hate snakes and we have copperheads and timber rattlers here as well as black snakes. I can tolerate the non-poisonous ones but they still scare me. The others are dead on sight from my screaming. lol Ok, well after dh shoots them.

15. busybee870

busybee870 Well-Known Member

we make a paste of"flowers of sulfur" and vaseline, i put it on cuts and scrapes, they heal so fast. used to put it on hot spots on a dog i had.

16. Sparticle

Hey Anniew!! That is good news along with all the other good stuff people have said about sulfur powder. It is going great here, the weather has been awesome though it's hot today. I've got about 50-60 chigger bites, spider and mosquito bites; but the plantain salve and poultice and my soaks have kept the itching under control.

It's Sunday and I think all the stores here are closed. So I may have to wait till tomorrow to go find some.

17. Woodpecker

Woodpecker In Remembrance

Thanks for the info, I'll look at the pharmacy on Monday.

18. Sparticle

19. ArmyDoc

ArmyDoc Well-Known Member

I have a friend with a creek and a pond. He runs a line of sulfur powder betwen them and the house. He says that since he's done that he hasn't had a water moccasin near the house. I don't know about killing them, but it sounds like it repells them...

20. ArmyDoc

ArmyDoc Well-Known Member

Did a little searching on the net, and found that most sites say sulfur doesn't act as a repellant, and neither does mothballs. I did find one government site that says that cinnamon oil, clove oil, and eugenol mixed in 1% concentration can make them flee, and spraying it in a container will make snakes leave it. Unfortunately, it also says they don't work as a deterant/barrier. In other words, you can't spray it in a line and expect them not to cross the line for the next several days or weeks.