Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
15,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've got a 50 pound 3-4 month old nubian wether who has loose stools and he obviously isn't feeling well. Yesterday he spent more time nibbling on my shoelaces than eating and today he only nibbled a little bit while I was in the pasture with them.

Tonight I tried to give him 10 cc of Di-Methox mixture. I tipped his head up about 45 degrees and put the syringe in his mouth. He acted like he was gagging so I released his head and tried 2 more times before I could get it all in but he still spit out quite a bit.

I gave him some probiotics on the way home to mix the drug and I mixed up some electrolyte solution but none of the 3 wethers seemed too interested in it.

Will it help to add some table sugar in the morning dose?

Is it possible that it was going down the wrong pipe because of tilting his head up like I did?

Should I repeat the initial 1cc/5 pounds dose?

·
Registered
3,741 Posts
Take a stool sample down to your local farm vet...let them tell you what is going on or better yet...take the goat down to the vet !! He might just have a case of worm..or who knows what. If he has loose stools you don't want him to get dehydrated...Good Luck !!

·
Registered
4,816 Posts
There is a trick to giving oraly anything to goats. You have to get it passed the tongue, and yes if you pull the head to far up it will go down the wrong tube :) Yes give the sulfa dose for 5 days, do not go down on your dose days 2, 3, 4, and 5 when you are treating for cocci...only in prevention to you use the lesser dose. If he spit it out how to you know he got enough.

Have a vet day one day, pay the vet to teach you how to give oral meds, to give shots, to bolus, to tube, it's much easier to learn from someone who does it everyday and especially easier to learn on your goats when they are not sick.

But yes just like above, you would not be guessing what is going on if you fecaled. And it's likely worms if you have cocci also. Vicki

·
Premium Member
15,706 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Would adding sugar help?

1 - 4 of 4 Posts