Suggestions please...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Mrs. Ed, Feb 4, 2005.

1. Mrs. Ed

Mrs. Ed Active Member

We have one pesky nanny who is bent on eating our Grt. Pyr's food. Not only do we not like her eating dog food, it's costing us a fortune! He eats enough on his own without her help.

Any ideas on how to keep her out of it (other than sell her, I mean)? She's the only one that does it.

2. Ark

Ark Well-Known Member

We have one goat out of 16 who likes dog food too.

All we can do is feed the dog separately. Yes, it's a hassle, but what else can you do????

:confused:

3. marvella

marvella Well-Known Member

i'm surprised the pyr let's her eat his food. mine growls and chases them away from his food.

4. mpillow

mpillow Well-Known Member Supporter

tie her up or put her on the milkstand while woof eats!

5. cricket

cricket Well-Known Member

I found a site where these people had the same problem and they created a place separate - fenced off - and the dog had to be trained to jump the fence to the food. They said it took a while to teach the dog because Pyr's don't like to jump. I don't know as I've never had one. I know my girls would jump it so I would probably build it where the dog had to climb under the separation or something to that effect anyway. I'll look for the site for you. I think I found it looking up chicken coops of all things.

6. debitaber

debitaber Well-Known Member

I have two goats, that love dog food, so we bring the 2 great pyr's up on the deck each night for dinner.my herd queen loves dog food, but then on the other hand, i have caught my gr.pyr's, eating goat chow, and hay, what can I tell ya, these boys were raised in a goat barn, and will back k off and let the goats, have their dog chow, so we bring them up on the deck, for dinner. then the ygo back with the goats.

7. Dianne Wood

Dianne Wood New Member

My concern is that the law concerning animal products in the feed does not apply to dog food, so your doe is ehdangering herself as far as the mad cow prevention program. As I'm sure you know, there is a similar condition which applies to goats.

I think it would be worth your while to feed the dog away from the goats although I agree that's a hassle.

8. lilredhen

lilredhen Well-Known Member

I also have a doe who eats the pyr's food. first I built a small side pen a few inches above the ground for the dog, taught her to crawl under to eat. Thought I was smart. Dog smarter - used her new skill to escape the yard entirely. So I built a stile like you sometimes see on hiking trails. sink in a t-post right in the corner of the fence. leave a little less room than you think the dog needs to sqeeze through. Fence off a small yard so the dog has to get thru that corner; dogs can BEND more than goats. it works - the hard part was teaching her to use it. I did that using sausages.

9. Westwood

Westwood Well-Known Member

My pyr herded the chickens to the back yard. She produced puppies as she dropped them between chasing her mortal enemies the coyoties.