Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just moved 5 week old layers into their new area from the brooder. The coop is 6x8 elevated with large run out front and under coop. I put them straight in the coop at dusk the first night. The second night (tonight) only 2 went into coop at dusk and the rest are nesting outside under the coop. We have many critters so I do want them inside at night. Any suggestions on how to get them to go into coop at night?

·
Registered
512 Posts
It sounds like they haven't had a chance for the coop to imprint as the safe place to roost at night, if I'm understanding correctly. If that's the case, lock them in the coop full time for a few days before letting them into the run during the day. Once they know the coop is home, they should go in on their own.

·
Registered
133 Posts
Can you provide a light source in the coop? This will definitely help. You might also want to observe if the two hens who are inside of the coop are keeping the others out.

·
Registered
4,864 Posts
it takes a good week or 2 to help them in at night, I have a light on for them but they just fall asleep in the pen so just before dust I go out and herd them to the coop, I had to keep checking each night before closing them up. Look for any left behinds, what I was seeing was one 2 3 would start in then most would go but if someone was busy doing stuff they missed the parade and just settled in the run. Sleep on the water or fence. So I would pick them up and put them to bed. 5 weeks they are still babies it might take a it more baby sitting at night.

·
Registered
721 Posts
I agree you didn't leave them in the coop long enough for them to think of it as home .Lock them up for a week and try again.:grin:

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the input...I put a light in the coop and closed the run under the coop. First night half of them went into the coop on their own so I put the rest in. Next night all but one went in on their own and for the last 3 nights they have all gone in by themselves. Not even using the light anymore. Thanks again for the advice, this sight rocks! Have a Blessed day.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts