Homesteading Forum banner

Suggestions for small Pond

821 views 7 replies 5 participants last post by  Cyngbaeld 
#1 ·
Looking for ideas and suggestions for a shallow pond that is smack dab in the middle of the yard. Actually, it was a shallow dugout thatwasn't used for anything except a breeding ground for tadpoles and bugs! Anyway, it is only about 2-3 deep in the middle and by the end of summer, it will have receded quite a bit. Last year it was full of cat-tails and weeds so I put 10 ducks into it and they cleaned is up well. Now, it is just a shallow pond again and I have been scratching my head as to what I could do with it to make it more attractive - any suggestions?? The pond is about 15 feet across and probably 25 feet long or so.

#7 ·
Cyngbaeld said:
Is it lined with anything or just a mud puddle?
No - not lined with anything except mud - and clay at that!!. Was wondering if water lilies, etc would be a option - and I like the idea of willow trees - and no more ducks at least not this year - too hard to keep them from being coyote food ( and I tried fencing the pond - the ducks simply swam under the netting.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.