suggestions for shady land usage

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by MELOC, Oct 17, 2006.

1. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

i have a small patch of land that is very shady. i want to use it as best i can but have trouble thinking of a use. it is nestled between two sheds and a large crab apple tree shades the sunny side. it is about 10-10 or 12-12 feet. the roofs of both sheds drain water onto that small spot. it misses the early and late sunshine. until i prune the crab apple, it misses the high noon sun.

the best idea i can come up with is to use it for composting. i don't know what useful and shade loving plants i could grow there.

any thoughts?

2. moonwolf

moonwolf Well-Known Member

A large composting area sounds good there. That way you could utilize better the spot in the sun for growing better sun loving plants. Another thing to consider is a mushroom growing area. I'm not sure which variety. Maybe ----ake or one of the domestic chantrelles? :shrug:

3. MELOC

MELOC Master Of My Domain

actually, i was considering growing shiitake mushrooms (it works with two "I's") lol. that may be a good spot for that. thanks for the reminder.

4. woodspirit

woodspirit Well-Known Member

Variegated Solomons seal, Hosta's, Ferns, Bloodroot, Bleeding Heart, Trilliums, Goldenseal, Snakeroot.

5. via media

via media Tub-thumper

6. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

You could use it as a place to put your new plants before they go into the garden. They would be outside, but out of direct sunlight. You could also put in a little patio, somewhere to sit in the shade and admire your gardens.

7. Mid Tn Mama

Mid Tn Mama Well-Known Member Supporter

Would this be a good place to have rabbits with worm composting underneath? What about growing fish in a barrel there? What zone?