Suggestions for seeding needed

Discussion in 'Gardening & Plant Propagation' started by suelandress, Nov 24, 2005.

1. suelandress

suelandress Windy Island Acres Supporter

Alot of the flower seeds I'm starting this winter are tiny....almost dustlike. I've tried the 'mix seeds with sand' route and it was very ineffective. Any suggestions for handling those tiny seeds (besides not breathing near them :D)

2. BrahmaMama

BrahmaMama Well-Known Member

I hope someone chimes in here with a more effective answer because I'd like to know too. However, here's MY experience: DON'T bother buying one of those seed counter/spreader thingys because they are useless.(watched my boss at the greenhouse use it and it was rediculess!) I'd just recommend carefully spreading those little puppies by hand and in little rows and NO breathing!!! :nono:
    Good Luck!

3. Cyngbaeld

Cyngbaeld In Remembrance Supporter

Have you tried putting them into a clean pepper shaker? (The holes are smaller than a salt shaker.) You should get a more even distribution.

4. Kee Wan

Kee Wan Well-Known Member

When I wind up planting the little seeds in peat pellets - I use a toothpick.....if it's damp (NOT WET - just damp - like after you stick it in dirt) it's damp enough to let the colloidal properties of the water pick up the tiny seeds - and yet they will brush off when the toothpick is inserted in the soil or peat pellet.....
    Hope that helps.....

5. Mutti

Mutti Well-Known Member Supporter

I save old plastic Folgers cans,fill with the best finest milled starting medium which I soak throughly.,,,,then I sprinkle the teeny seeds on top and lightly dust more medium over them and gently firm down.Cover with several layers of newspapers unless directions say need light to germinate...then we skip covering them up. No need to water and disburse the seeds. Once they are up I prick and plant into future homes. Find these deep cans don't dry out so won't need watering....if I do need to water will use a mister. This works for me. DEE who prefers big fat nasturiums!!!

6. Marcia in MT

Marcia in MT Well-Known Member Supporter

Get the REALLY FINE sand, not the regular stuff. I got mine at the craft store -- not only is it the right size, it's bright pinky-orange so the seeds show up really well on it.

I have had various hand- and battery- and electrically- operated vibrators to sow seeds. The one I have now is by Gro-Mor (although I first saw it at a trade show, they have a website), and while it's pricey, it works extremely well.

I have made one out of an electric engraving tool with a cut-out plastic cup taped on the end for the seed trough that worked well (although it was NOISY), and I saw one once made out of electric hair clippers with some kind of trough on the end.

No matter what you use, it's still a good idea to mix some of that fine sand in. I find that it slows down the speed of the seeds in the trough and separates them, so they can be singulated when sown.

I hope this helps!