Suggestions for low bedding to no bedding stall options

Discussion in 'Goats' started by eclipchic, Apr 19, 2012.

1. eclipchic

eclipchic Melody Supporter

So I'm pregnant and on lifting restrictions and my husband just found out he has 2 hernias and will have to get surgery soon. So neither of us should be doing any heavy lifting for a while. I don't really have a lot of help available and we are considering hiring a farm hand once a week.

I'm wondering if maybe we could try something that doesn't involve heavy work but maybe would be an every day task that's lighter. Our stall is 10x12 and hold 2 goats right now. The floor is concrete with rubber horse mats on top. Could a daily sweep out keep it clean enough? Maybe use a light layer of bedding and clean it daily or every other day? They have a big pasture separate from the barn with a run in shed but I wouldn't trust the boys out there overnight due to our coyote population.

Thoughts? Suggestions?

2. eclipchic

also anyone know what the going rates are for farm hands by the hour?

3. Backfourty,MI.

Backfourty,MI. Katie Supporter

We do the deep bedding method in the winter & the spring clean is always a bugger! But now since I have the barn & all the out buildings now cleaned out from winter we do just a light bedding & I clean the bedding areas & floor daily. It doesn't take too long & it's so light a load that way.

In the summer when it get's hot I don't use any bedding unless it's going to rain. I've seen the goats go in from outside to pee on the bedding then come back outside to lay around or eat. Without bedding they lay inside in the shade but don't go potty in there except for occasional little berries.

eclipchic likes this.
  4. mrs.H

mrs.H Romans 8:28

You could ask you Pastor if he can recommend any boys to hire. Or you can call your local high school and ask the vice principle for recommendations for honest boys or girls who want to earn some money.

If you lived near me I know a couple of young people who are well brought up, honest and hard working that I would recommend to any one!

eclipchic likes this.
  5. oberhaslikid

oberhaslikid Well-Known Member Supporter

I built beds for the dogs and goats to lounge on. I took 2 pallets and placed a piece of plywood on top.This was to keep them out of the wet.When my barn is cleaned the water will run a stream through in the Spring and Fall.
    I have seen and wanted to hang them on the wall with hinges and chains on the front corners in case I needed to put up against the wall out of the way.But we never did,this works for now.

6. Minelson

Minelson Well-Known Member

Mine is cement with a stall mat also. I do the deep bedding in the winter. Now it's cleaned out. I have hay waste in a hut, which they rarely use, but just in case! They have a table and a spool. I have a small amount of shavings on one side and I put a bit of waste hay on top and they use that to pee on. They poop every which where. I sweep all the poop onto that shaving area with the pee on it and scoop it up with a dust pan. It's very easy. Hubby and I both have bad backs and we like to keep heavy lifting and to a minimum. :)

7. where I want to

where I want to Well-Known Member

My goats are on stall mats over a layer of redwood bark. In the winter I bed but in the summer I don't.
    In the summer I used a doggie butler thingy to pick up the poop daily.

8. Minelson

Just wanted to add...when I get them up in the AM I get them outside right away and that cuts down on the mess. Also keeping them out as long as possible before putting them to bed at night :)

9. eclipchic

I'm working them up to being outside all day, my young buck though keeps bouncing between scours, clumps and normal everytime he's out just a little longer so it's been a careful balancing act

10. Suzyq2u

Suzyq2u Well-Known Member

Hmm, sounds familiar! Hubby just had his hip replaced recently and I'm 8mo along - neither of us should be doing nearly as much as we are. The kids help a TON, but there's still got to be a better way : /
    Ours just turned into mud mania just behind the stalls where we had been using light bedding with straw on top, clean out ever 3 days-ish (it's really racking up the $ bill - even straw here is still $6-8/bale) Mama's could come and go all night, babies were locked in to their stall. It was still a chore and the urine gets pretty potent, fast!
    With the heavy mud situation, we moved everyone to the backyard (not ideal, but working). The babies are sequestered on the porch and mama's can go underneath if they so wish in the evening. Note: we haven't had any rain. Tonight, we're expecting possible storms...so off to clean out the stalls we go. Think maybe something portable could work? Like a chicken tractor for goats?? When the weather is nice?

Last edited: Apr 19, 2012
  11. KareninPA

KareninPA Well-Known Member

Like Minelson, I use some wood shavings (love'em, especially the smell of a new batch), then sprinkle waste hay very lightly over top. That hides all the berries. Mine typically pee (and poo) along two walls so I put extra there. Then after cleaning (once a week) I strip the wall areas real good , spread lime, and rake the not-so-bad bedding into those spots and sprinkle more hay there. Then I put fresh in the middle area where they only poo. Of course now they're outside a lot more which really helps!

12. Minelson

Here...I took some pics for you tonight on how it looks this time of year.....

You can see the "toilet " I make for them to the right of the hay feeder...they do use it!
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Hope this helps!

13. Whisperwindkat

Whisperwindkat Well-Known Member

We deep bed in the winter and then after we do the big clean-out in the spring we don't bed at all. We sweep the barn every morning as soon as the goats are let out. Keeps it much cleaner and easier than bedding. Blessings, Kat

14. chewie

chewie Well-Known Member Supporter

very timely thread here! I went to corral the babies last night, and went all the way into the goat barn. ewww! its so wet! and smelly! I feel terrible they were living on that. I cleaned it this past weekend. from the front it looks fine. so I spread pine shavings, and immediatly it was better.

my floor is cement. I thuoght last night that making a sleeping platform would probably be a good idea, the pallets idea is great! I even have some! seems like they enjoy peeing in the barn more than anywhere else, and my barn has no drainage. was an old dairy barn and some genius filled in the drain with cement?!! so I have what is like a cement cake pan of a barn floor. no good.

minelson, thanks for the photos, yes that does help. your goats look so clean and happy! I am going to spend some time today making mine look better.

now, if I use pallets, is a hunk of plywood 'soft' enough for them to sleep on? or should I get something like maybe floor mats or something?

Last edited: Apr 20, 2012
  15. mamahen

mamahen Well-Known Member Supporter

I read in a book one time of someone sneaking goats in town. They swept out the "berries" every day and then did a quick hose down of the urine.

Maybe if you make a goatie "litter" box straw pile, like Minelson - you can have the best of both worlds.

If you wanted to hire someone, does anyone have a teenager that you know of? Maybe $10 a week to come & scrub the stall down a few times a week. I know my son would do it for that if he didn't have to shovel a manure pack (his LEAST favorite job on the farm!!:censored::eek:) But just sweeping & scrubbing would be easy.