Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Our neighbor is in the hospital, and her husband is working FT, and visiting her and their baby (who is staying with family nearby). I'm sure he has support from family and friends, but still looks tired, poor guy. We've offered a hand but except for little stuff (taking out the garbage etc) he hasn't asked for much.

Trying to think of some little helps--food of course, comes to mind, but I know from his wife he's kind of a picky eater! :) Any suggestions for dinners/snacks for a no-green-veggies kind of guy? Or other non-food ideas that were helpful when you were in a similar situation?

I was thinking maybe some fried chicken (good for dinner or lunches)... but hoped you guys would have some better ideas! Thanks!

·
Registered
1,485 Posts
Fried chicken is a good choice and maybe some brownies or a six pack. If you get a chance and your neighbor isn't on any dietary restrictions maybe you could make a meal they could eat together. Cutting his grass while he's gone would be a help and free up some of his time.

·
Registered
360 Posts
I bet he won't be nearly as picky about food with with no one around to cook for him. It's amazing what looks good when you're hungry!

·
Registered
1,187 Posts
What about a pot roast? Meat potatoes, caroots, celery and onions all cooked till mush. Deliver with a loaf of bread.

Lasagna?

Potato salad, and a tray of cold cuts and a loaf of bread?

Brownies and a 6 pack would be appreciated as well I can only assume.

Mow the law, do a few loads of laundry? Offer to vacume the house and clean the bathroom?

·
Registered
16,519 Posts
soon!

How about meatloaf, spaghetti, chicken and noodles, or just fried chicken- easily reheated. A loaf of bread and some lunch meat?

You might call the wife if she is able to answer the phone easily. She might know of a few things that need doing that he won't have time to do.

They are lucky to have you for a friend.

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
What a wonderful neighbor you are! I agree with mowing the lawn if you're looking for things to help with. Maybe watering the garden or flowers too?

Fried chicken, potato salad, cold cuts, bread/rolls, brownies, cookies... all are a wonderful gift when you're busy running and exhausted when you get home!

Bless you for your kindness.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for all the ideas--a friend of his did the lawn, but I can check on their flowers. I'm definitely thinking fried chicken with "the fixins" (brownies, biscuits, potatoes). And I will ask him about laundry etc. I'd love to sneak in and just do it, but that feels a little pushy, ha ha!

I figured since some of you had been in their shoes, you'd know what you appreciated! Hopefully she'll be home soon, and we can help out more then!

Thanks again...

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
A little dusting and vacuuming would be greatly appreciated I'm sure.

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
If he trusts you in his house, washing some dishes and doing some laundry would probably be helpful. At least when his wife gets back home, she won't have those chores staring her in the face.

·
Premium Member
5,937 Posts
Uuuum - scotch eggs, pie of whatever sort, Keeping cake so he can have it whenever he wants ??

good luck

hoggie

·
Don't Tase me, bro!?!
1,358 Posts
If he is looking tired get him nutritious stuff in the way of snacks, like some of the better nuts (not peanuts).

Some people do like "green vegi" type stuff but just don't want to prepare them. In order for your troubles not to be a complete waste, you could maybe make your own family a huge bowl of salad and only take him a freshly prepared serving. I'm a meat and potatoes type guy but nothing beats a good salad with a variety of vegi's in it, along with some good dressing.

My wife is this way. She loves the stuff, she just wont make it... Says she doesn't like chopping vegetables. Maybe you could speak with him in a friendly way. Let him know your buckin' for him and his wife and maybe give a little input on using good foods to keep his energy up.... Without nagging of course.

If he seems like the commercially energized kinda guy, maybe several six packs of energy drinks would be up his alley too.

·
Happy Scrounger
13,634 Posts
wonder if he'd like the "hamburger helper" kind of meal? My SO loves the stuff cuz it's beef and easy. I usually do the stroganoff type..and then add a bunch of mixed veggies, or just broccoli.

Pork steak smothered in onions and sauteed in covered pan until the meat is fork tender. I've never had anyone refuse to eat that ;)

Any chance you could invite him over for a meal? Maybe what he needs most is a chance to sit and talk about something other than hospitals?

Does the wife need someone to sit and chat with her in hospital? Giving him a reprieve from that might be a good thing, too. And gives you a chance to catch up with her.

·
Registered
1,064 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Minor update--apparently EVERYONE has been offering to help them out, which is great! :) I did send him to the hospital with flowers and a card...

Apparently he was well stocked with "bachelor" food since his wife had planned on being out of town this week (before she got sick). So, he had "every kind" of pizza (frozen pizza, pizza pockets, pizza rolls) in the freezer already LOL! He also got some much needed extra sleep, and looks less frazzled :)

She should be home early next week and even though I think they'll have plenty of help, I will probably bring them some dinner then!

Thanks again!

·
Registered
988 Posts
One thing you could do is have the neighbor give out your phone number to anyone asking to help and you could organize a meal delivery for dinner once the wife is home. We do this for people in the community that need a little extra boost. We see how much help they need, a meal every night, a huge meal every other night, diet restrictions, timing for delivery in disposable pans so they do not have dishes to deal with, etc and then you can coodinate the schedule. The alternative is that you can coordinate the meals and pop them in the freezer to deliver them all at once to them if they have room - just make sure they are labeled with directions and what it is. We have done this for so many different people and the only complaint we ever got was they got so much food that the people got overwhelmed. The wise ones just popped stuff in the freezer. I always call after a couple of deliveries to make sure if things are going okay and make adjustments. We have had teenagers volunteer to help out new moms or young families with babysitting, laundry and dishes as part of the deal when their family makes a meal for someone. Some people send magazines for the patient to read and if it is summer I always throw in some flowers in a cheap vase or mason jar covered in cloth and some fresh veggies.

You are a kind hearted person. How lucky for these neighbors.

Laurie

·
Registered
5,499 Posts
vtfarma said:
You are a kind hearted person. How lucky for these neighbors.

Laurie
Amen to that!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts