Suggestions for healing chronic inner ear infection/ruptured eardrum?

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by Marcee, Feb 6, 2004.

1. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

Any suggestions on this would be nice. It is my cat who has this problem, but helping it or curing it in any animal or human would be good information.

History: Harry was found a bit skinny and with a snotty nose. We healed him up and kept him. He then got snotty sometimes, and it appeared it was seasonal to us, allergy sort of thing, at the times when I'd hear others complain about the same thing in themselves. Since he wasn't acting sick, and being playful, we didn't worry. He was vaccinated for distemper/rabies. Vet could find nothing wrong.

Last summer he got the "allergy" and ended up with a bad inner ear infection that ruptured the eardrum. The vet did say an allergy could cause it. We had no idea there was anything wrong with him until the infection was bad, and the eardrum had already ruptured. We noticed because suddenly he was walking head-tilted with eyes moving funny, and took him in right away. Now, normally I do tend towards natural healing, but this was serious and I knew he needed antibiotics 2x per day. He was on for 2 weeks, the vet said he looked good, and the eardrum would probably heal, but give him two more weeks of antibiotics. Frankly, this seemed like overkill and I worried about the effect on his body from this, but I did it. He seemed fine, but a little tilt-headed, which slowly seemed to get somewhat better.

A month ago his eyes did the same thing, same tilt head. The vet put him on the same anti-biotic and this time she said to take it for a month, but give the both doses at the same time to make it easier on me. He was doing great, and then started acting worse with no energy, and stopped eating mostly. I quit the antiobiotics (almost done anyway) and took him back in.

They have now put him on a DIFFERENT drug (antibiotic type thing) and I am feeding him (by hand to start him going). Now I am adding probiotic to build up his body. Vet now says he will probably have the problem off and on forever, it isn't feline leuk or that feline AIDS thing, his white blood cell count is high, and he has no idea what is wrong with him. He said he probably has an immune problem, otherwise very healthy.

I am considering putting him on all natural foods, but am worried about getting things in his ear, and really would like that to heal up and get this infection out. He is a great cat, but I wouldn't pay $750 for the inner ear to be removed to "solve" the problem. I can't find any info on this whole thing on line or in any of my homeopathy or herbal books. I am not supposed to put things in the ear due to the rupture.....

So, suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks.

Marcee

2. Darren

Darren Still an :censored:

Use a tincture of mullein.

3. I have had this as a human....chronic inner ear infection in winter and swimmers ear in the summer. My eardrum burst in March while we were driving in some remote mountains.....blood, puss and Major PAIN. I was given antibiotic and pain pills. It hurt more than childbirth....and my two kids were natural with no drugs. I have hearing loss now and a swishy sound in the ear. Long story ...to the short.. I would consider just how much pain the kitty was in and the whole value of life enjoyment versus suffering if you dont have it removed.

4. It sounds to me like Harry might have an impaired immune system. I would definitely put him on a natural diet. Dr Pitcairn's book "Complete Guide to Natural Health for Dogs and Cats" has a lot of different natural diets for cats. I would also use warmed mullein oil in the ears to promote healing. I have used it on my cat with an ear problem with good results. Some cats have the same allergic type reactions as Harry is exhibiting just due to the preservatives in commercial cat foods.
    The allergies may present as seasonal because of the extra overload on his immune system at those times of the year. A quick and easy cat meal until you can get more raw and fresh ingredients like ground turkey would be 2 raw eggs mixed with 1/4 teaspoon bonemeal and 1/4 teaspoon nutritional yeast. Or try to find a cat food without preservatives and then try different fresh foods with your cat until you find what he will eat. Good luck.

5. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

I had thought of that, but the vet said to put nothing in his ear with a ruptured eardrum because it makes the ear worse. I have begun to swab the inside of his ear (up high) gently with tea tree oil to give an added boost to fightin the infection. Maybe when it is gone I will try swabbing the mullein around there and see if it will help heal the eardrum. Thanks!

6. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

Thank you for telling your experience. It does give me much food for thought. However, we couldn't afford to have it fixed, so if he was in pain that didn't seem like it would pass, we would have to have him put down. The doctor doesn't seem to think he is in pain now, and he doesn't seem like it to me either. In fact, over the last couple of days he is coming back to being his old self! With tilted head, of course....I will keep your story in mind!

7. Marcee

Marcee Active Member

Thanks! I will definitely check this book out! Maybe I can find a copy at our bookstore when I go into town today. Mullein oil is out for now, but maybe I will try rubbing a bit around the tops inside, and will begin trying the raw food diet for him!