Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I butchered out some muscovies and am roasting one small duck up tonight. I just drained off a full cup of fat. All I had on the duck was salt, pepper and garlic.

What are your suggestions for the duck fat?

·
Registered
1,478 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That does sound good!

I tend not to fry often. Does it freeze and defrost ok, or not? How long will it hold in the fridge?

·
Registered
649 Posts
Yes, you can freeze it will defrost just fine. It can stay in the fridge indefinitely just make sure its in an air tight container. Once your family gets a taste of it on potatoes or roasted root vegetables it won't last long. Hope you used the liver for some patte`.:thumb:

·
Registered
529 Posts
God's elixir right there. I would make pommes frites and I would store it and carefully guard it for ever. The worlds greatest food has to be French fries double fired in duck fat with a side of sautéed foi Gras.

·
Premium Member
2,869 Posts
You will have to see if the flavor is too strong for you. If you don't care for the taste, you can feed it to your animals, or use as a preventative, such as coating rooster's combs against frost, or covering the area where a bird may be picked at by others.

·
Bitter Clinger
4,787 Posts
As others have said, it is amazing with potatoes.

We toss tiny new potatoes or regular potatoes cut into chunks with salt, pepper and the melted fat and roast them in the oven. Awesome!

We use it kind of like bacon grease. What we really like, though, is goose fat. Same delicious uses as duck fat but geese give up so much more fat when you roase them. It keeps indefinitely in the fridge in an air tight container for at least a year.

Reactions: susieneddy

·
Registered
356 Posts
Use it as the fat in biscuits = awesome

Another awesome dish = poutine: shoestring french fires fried in duck fat, with a duck stock gravy, duck confit, fried cheese curds, and fois gras.

·
Registered
410 Posts
Ooh duck fat!!!! People freak out over bacon but duck fat is where it's at! You can sauté with it fry with it. The secret to my duck andouille gumbo is doing a super dark roux using rendered duck fat. Use it in cassoulet or to cap a terrine. Confit duck legs are amazing and an old world preservative technique. Good stuff

·
Registered
13 Posts
Another vote for capping terrines and making confit. Confit always seems to take way more fat than you planned for...

Also, if there is anyone in your household who is not a big fan of duck skin (gasp!) you can freeze it until you have a nice big batch, julienne it, and render it on low to medium heat with a little water to get it started, then gently cook until it resembles the consistency of pork rinds...

In Jewish cuisine they call them gribenes, and they are typically made from chicken skin, but duck skin is especially tasty.

There are about 1,001 uses for them; mixed into pates and terrines (or as their own separate layer), topping for salads, stirred into or atop mashed potatoes, anything you would like to add a bit of crunch to.

My secret is to crumble them into dumpling batter before simmering :icecream:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts