sugar beet recipes

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by sorcerer, Sep 12, 2010.

1. sorcerer

sorcerer Active Member

I grew some sugar beets in my small garden this year as a novelty. I proccess a couple of the beets a few days ago just for fun and got enough molasses to make a batch of bran muffins. I was not able to extract any pure sugar but I skipped a few necessary steps so didn't expect great results. I of course had a pile of left over sugar beet pulp that I could just feed to my horse but it is a pretty small amount and I started wondering what the nutritional quality of sugar beet pulp is and whether it could be incorperated into something like a bread recipe? Has anyone else grown sugar beets to eat rather that extract sugar from? They grew a lot more prolific for me than my regular beets! I'm thinking of trying some roasted. Any ideas for other uses of sugar beets? I will process the rest to extract the molasses but I'd love to be able to use the remaining pulp as well.

2. paintlady

paintlady Well-Known Member

Here in sugar beet country they put the pulp back into the fields for fertilizer.

3. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

My uncle always mixed the pulp in with silage for animal feed. He had a large sugarbeet farm and processed a little for personal use and teach us kids the old ways. Always had a good time sitting around processing the beets with all the cousins and listening to his stories.

He also always stated that if he was closer to the processing plant he would use more of it for feed and put some back on the fields to cut down fertilizer costs.

4. Vickie44

Vickie44 Well-Known Member Supporter

Are these the white beets ? I wanted to play with those also but could not find seeds. Where did you get your seeds ?, I would like to try next year

5. sorcerer

sorcerer Active Member

Vickie, I got the seeds from this company - http://www.reimerseeds.com/. They have small quantities of quite a few things you can't find in most garden catalogues!

Karin

6. emandeli

emandeli Well-Known Member

Wow, I never heard of this! We love beets. What are the difference and how are you processing them. I wonder if I can find any here at the markets to try out on my own!

7. granite-ridge

granite-ridge Member

Last year I grew some sugar beets "for fun", too, but when I tried to process them I just made a big mess. I tried to follow the instructions that came with the seeds, shown here:

http://www.richters.com/newdisplay.cgi?page=InfoSheets/d1340.html

I couldn't find milk of lime so I made it from pickling lime, but I'm not sure I used the correct proportions. I envy Wy White Wolf being shown how to do this! Does anyone have any suggestions for alternate instructions? "Sugar-Making for Dummies" or something?

Another question that came up with sugar beets is why people don't eat them. Are they not healthy or just too sweet?

8. Paquebot

Paquebot Well-Known Member

You certainly can eat sugar beets, and mangels as well. Just like regular beets, they get tough and fibrous with age so they have to be eaten when young. I've eaten both red and yellow mangels and they were both quite good. With the higher sugar content, they are more nutritious than ordinary beets. In fact, after having eaten mangels, regular beets are quite bland in comparison.

Martin

9. emandeli

emandeli Well-Known Member

Speaking of beets...I told my 4 year old yesterday we are having BEEF soup for lunch and he came RUNNING into the kitchen all excited saying BEET SOUP, BEET SOUP! (He loves beets). I have never made Borscht or beet soup but it was so cute how excited he was for it...I was sad to disappoint him.

10. Vickie44

Vickie44 Well-Known Member Supporter

Thanks Karin.. neat site
    Vickie

Last edited: Sep 17, 2010