suddenly iron in well

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by rambler, Jan 19, 2005.

1. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

I'll try to keep this short. My sis has lived in her house since the 80's, own well. Nothing much has changed in the water system in that time. Got a Kinetico softener ~10 years ago, happy with it.

The past month, her water has been so 'rusty' that can't use it - stains clothing, etc.

She just had the Kinetico guy out, & he said, "The water tests really soft, so nothing wrong with the softener. Your water is high in iron & maganese that the softener can't handle it. You have really bad water."

Ok, I know consumer softeners can't handle bad water, & need extra iron filters, etc. in those cases.

Deal is, nothing has changed in my sister's house. Used to work before, had good water all those years.

Any ideas?

She added she is having the pressure tank replaced, as the pump cycles every 2 seconds when used.... Could that could be pulsating the pipes to knock iron deposits into the water - guess that started about New Year's. All I can think of, anything else that could cause the bad water?

Again, I understand what is wrong with the pressure tank; and I understand that some water is far too mineralized for common softeners. The question is why it worked fine for 10 years, and suddenly it doesn't.

Deep well, pump at the bottom, in a semi- developed location with no known major deep digging going on.

--->Paul

2. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

If the defective tank is a bladder type then the rupture of the badder will expose the water to the interior of the uncoated tank and rust/iron oxide would be present is quantity. I suggest that she get a fiberglass blader tank as a replacement. About the same price as a steel tank and the fiberglass one can have the bladder replaced should it rupture. Wellmate is a brand of fiberglass tanks. Nice feature of a fiberglass tank is that you can bury it without concern of exterior damage.

3. Cabin Fever

Cabin Fever Life NRA Member since 1976 Supporter

The only other situation that may be happening is that the well has become "infected" with iron bacteria. Iron may have always been present in her well water in a form that allows the water to remain clear....consequently it was never noticed. Iron bacteria will cause iron to oxidize which turns water red.

If they haven't disinfected the well lately (with bleach), she might want to consider doing it. Disinfection will kill iron bacteria and the water may return to a clear condition.