Suddenly Dead!

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by HesterDaddy, Oct 19, 2006.

1. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

I have a 5-6 month old babydoll ram that has been strong and healthy as a horse. I walked out to the barn this evening and he's laying there dead. Lying on his side, eyes wide open, and two foamy masses of bubbles that look like dish suds coming out of his mouth. He was fine and healthy and eating this morning. What could have happened to him? Did he maybe eat something?He's on hay and sweet supplement, as are the others. No poisons, sprays or chemicals anywhere near. Toxic plant maybe? I cleared some oak out a little while back... maybe some came up that I've not seen? It's so odd... and so sudden.

He was a maturing ram in with another older ram and they've begun to struggle a little over the ewes. I'd planned on moving him out the next month. Any chance they butted heads and the little guy lost? I really am concerned and feel horrible. If someone could let me know what they think caused his death, I'd appreciate it.

2. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

Sounds like he got choked on his food. Ive seen mine get choked on grain and its amazing how much they foam. Usually they will clear it themselves but sometimes you have to tube them. Sorry for your loss

3. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I can't say for sure but yes he could have bumped heads too hard, or it could have been bloat (but they often bloat after death) or maybe pulpy kidney it kills healthy lambs. Was he vacinated? You could at least narrow the choices down a bit but if he wasn't vacinated then the odds are greatly tipped towards a disease like pulpy kidney.

4. Ronney

Ronney Well-Known Member

Before I got to Ross's post, I had already thought Pulpy Kidney. A very quick death with no warning and occurs in well grown lambs. To reiterate the question, have you vaccinated?

Cheers,
    Ronnie

5. Somerhill

Somerhill Well-Known Member

To translate to "American" :rolleyes: , Mark - had you vaccinated and boosted this lamb with CD&T or Covexin 8 or some other vaccine to protect from over eater's disease?(Type D enterotoxemia)

Lisa at Somerhill
    www.somerhillfarm.com

6. HesterDaddy

HesterDaddy Well-Known Member

I'm thinking everyone may be right. He hadn't been vaccinated for Enterotoxemia PLUS he lambed from a first time mother whose milk had not let down. He was discovered several hours into his first 24 and I worried at the time he did not receive enough colostrum and antibodies. Add to this that he has recently become very strong and large and confident... big enough to truly compete at the feeder. I'm suspecting he overate and a fast influx of grain triggered the toxins. *Sigh* sad and now seems as if I could have taken better steps to vaccinate and prevent it from happening. Thank you, everyone for helping me figure it out. You're a great group.

7. Zorro_Bones

Zorro_Bones Ridge Runner

There's a possiblity it might have been Jimsonweed