Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My daughter's favorite cat died suddenly and very unexpectedly. She was my daughter's cat. My daughter is heartbroken and has not come out of her room or stopped crying. I feel so bad for her as I cannot bring her cat back and have no idea why she died.

Puffy aka Grey Girl was 3 years old, spayed, vaccinated, healthy indoor only cat. We have had her since she was born in my closet from an abandoned cat and was the only cat who followed my daughter around, slept with her and they had a very good bond.

Friday I saw her since my daughter was at a sleep over and when my daughter is gone she is all over me missing her girl. She seemed fine. I did was pretty busy on Saturday so I did not see her. In the evening I did not see her since I thought she was with my daughter. My daughter thought she was with me since her bedroom door was shut so that that her music would not disturb her dad. So sometime on Sat the cat died.
My son saw her behind the couch with blood from her mouth. I examined her on the outside and and there were no wounds, just the blood from her mouth and maybe nose, it was hard to tell, the blood was not totally dried either, so she might not have been dead for that long.
She never goes outside so it could not have been a car, my dogs would never touch a cat and have lived with them their entire lives. They are 7 and 13 yrs old so I doubt it would crop up now. The only poison we have in the house is behind two sets of shut doors, they are one bite bars, the package was still intact and I had not used any since I put them down into the holes in the chicken coop this Summer.

Do you have any idea on what this may have been? I am kind of worried for my other cats as well since there is no visible cause.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
:( I have no idea. The only thing I can think of is a heart issue but I don't know if that would cause the blood. Or maybe she got a hold of a piece of string or something and it got all tangled up inside. I just don't know :( I am so sorry for your loss :(

·
Registered
3,990 Posts
Chewed an electric cord? Still maybe could be heart, the blood could have been bloody foam from the lungs.

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Yes she was fully vaccinated.

No she was never a cord chewer and none in that area are touched. Nor do we have any string around.

I still do not even have my tree up, it is fake so no water to drink or additives.

With a heart problem would there be any symptoms? Or is it a silent killer?

Could it have been a spider? A friend of mine had her 2 year old cat die from trying to eat a spider that bit her in the throat. She foamed and bled some from it.

My daughter still has not come downstairs, I feel so bad for her :Bawling:

·
Student of goatology.
3,132 Posts
I'm very, very sorry for your and your daughter's loss. You're both in my prayers.

·
Registered
777 Posts
Cardiomyopathy is a disease of the heart that can cause sudden death, without symptoms. We can sometimes see a young, apparently healthy cat die under anesthesia for a spay/neuter and later find the abnormal heart on a post mortem exam.

·
Accidental Farmer
14,837 Posts
I'm guessing it's the heart :( too.

I've had young cats die from it, quite suddenly like that.

·
Animal Addict
12,209 Posts
You know, it is a small comfort, but if it was heart (which I think as well) it was fast. Can you tell her that for any comfort at all?

Wonder if Santa could deliver a new kitty, not to take the place of the old, but to give her something new to love?

I feel for you, my 5yo will suddenly just start crying about this or that animal we have lost, and it stinks because your heart is breaking too. (hugs)

·
aka RamblinRoseRanc :)
5,066 Posts
I'm so sorry :(

I also had a healthy indoor cat pass like that. We suspected it was Merlin's heart as well. We came home after a few hours away and he was curled up on a blanket, looked just like he was sleeping.

Give your daughter a hug for me, please.

·
Premium Member
2,001 Posts
One of my boys just died this summer from a saddle thrombosis. The end for him was horrible for ME. I knew he was dying, and could do nothing but try to comfort him. As tough as it was, I'm glad I could try to comfort him. However, I think it would've been too much for my tender-hearted 15 y/o son. (This happeded at 1 a.m.).

They can die from this when they have undiagnosed (or even diagnosed) cardiomyopathy.

The only symptoms that we really noticed was a slight increase in respirations. This started Christmas Eve '09. He was only 6 when he died.

They he coughed for maybe a week? Nothing that seemed too serious, just a cough here and there. This was right after we noticed the breathing.

He never lost condition. Never really slowed down too much. He liked to hang out in the hay loft & hay field when he was outside, so we thought it was allergies.

He was a bottle baby, never nursed. So we thought it could've been something congenital that momma noticed & rejected him. Or a lack of perfect nutrition (bottled milk compared to momma's)

I really feel for your little girl. As hard as it is for her, give her comfort in the knowledge that her kitty was loved, knew a wonderful home & owner. Let her open her heart to a new kitten. Kittens have a way of distracting you!

·
Crazy Dog Lady
3,436 Posts
So sorry for your loss! Even with indoor cats, its possible she had a heartworm infestation. Back in the day when I worked in vet clinics we did necropsies on more than one cat who had just suddenly died, only to find heartworms as the likely cause. Mosquitos can get in the house just as easily as flies, and it only takes one bite from one infected mosquito to get HW....

Regardless of the cause, I am very sorry for your loss :(

·
Broken Dreamer
2,320 Posts
I remember the vet I used to work for doing a few post-mortems for cats that had died at home unexpectedly, and discovering cardiomyopathy. However I don't remember bleeding from the mouth or anywhere else as a symptom.

Wondering if it's heartworm as well, or a blood clotting disorder, or some kind of aneurysm. Regardless, so sorry for your loss... such a young, well-loved cat.

·
Enabler!
3,865 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
She is 14 and past the age Santa can make you feel better :( A well meaning friend offered her a young cat but she declined and said she does not want one. If she is ready later on I am sure the shelters will be filled with ones needing a girl to love them. We do have other house cats but it is not the same. She does love them just different. My cat went to sleep with her last night but does not like to be held the way her cat did. But I am glad Cali realized my daughter was sad and needed her.

I thought the heart thing might make her feel better but she turned and said to me " No she is still dead and what if it is genetic and her brother has it and dies too" so I am not offering anymore of that type of comfort to her.

I doubt it was heartworm, the average incidents of dogs getting it here in CO is 5% a year and even less so with cats.
She never coughed, lost weight or anything. It is a mystery and I just hope it was not genetic and does not inflict her brother.

Thanks for the kind words.

RIP Puffy aka Grey Girl..we miss you :( ( her as a kitten)

1 - 20 of 30 Posts