Sudden Lamb Deaths

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by jacobs, Mar 25, 2006.

1. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

This morning when I got up and watched the sheep for about half an hour from my window everything was fine, everyone was grazing and the lambs were playing. About an hour later when dw went to feed all was normal. About 4 hours later the most active ram lamb was dead in the pasture. It was still warm but stiff, and the eyes had already glazed over. Four hours before he had been leaping and romping! This lamb was about 6 weeks old and appeared very healthy. He has been with the flock for about two weeks and there have been no issues.
    About three weeks earlier I had a ewe with twins in a birthing stall. Both lambs appeared healthy and active. They got daily turnout in a big stall and returned to the birthing stall at night. One morning I went out to feed and one was dead. No apparent reason. The ewe was a good protective mother and the lamb was big and well fed.
    I've haven't had this happen before, rare lamb deaths at birth, but not when they are this old.
    Any ideas?

2. YuccaFlatsRanch

YuccaFlatsRanch Well-Known Member Supporter

Do you vaccinate for CD&T?? Overeating disease which is a Clostridial disease usually takes your biggest and best lambs from the best milking mothers. If you do not vaccinate your ewes do so ASAP and if the lambs are 6 weeks old vaccinate them too. If they are not that old I'd use tetanus toxoid on each and every one ASAP until I could get them vaccinated.

CD&T vaccinates for overeating disease and protects from the other Clostridium bacterial diseases such as Naval Ill. The cost of the vaccine is CHEAP and the shots are given subque.

3. jacobs

jacobs Well-Known Member

Ewes all got cd&t before birthing and lambs got boosters after 1st week. I think the one today might have been butted when he was nursing, he had milk coming out of his nose!

4. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

If that's the case, could it have drowned by getting the milk down its airpipe?

Last year we had twins that the mother didn't claim, so we brought them in. the male was doing better sooner than the female, she just curled up and would hardly take any milk. He frenquently got up and drank. By the end of the day, he dropped over dead, about the same time the little girl seemed to wake up and drink and did just fine..... crazy ain't it.....!