sudden death

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by meggie, Aug 19, 2005.

1. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

My NZW doe had 9 kits 3 weeks ago , all where doing great till last night. This morning all where dead but one. Could it have been the heat ? The hutches are in the shade but temps have been very high.
    The doe is eating and drinking great. I'm going to put in a mister today, a day to late.
    Has any one had this happen to them ? :confused:

2. nehimama

nehimama An Ozark Engineer Supporter

I'm SO sorry this happened. You must be so disappointed. I have had this happen before, and it was the heat. Now I'm a little better prepared and use fans, bottles of ice, and lots of shade whenever possible. I also bring the box of bunnies into the (much cooler) house during the daytime in the worst of the heat. Moms usually feed in the early AM and at night, so this works well for my situation.

Wishing you better luck next litter.
    NeHi Mama

3. Michael Leferink

Michael Leferink Well-Known Member

meggie,

I'm sorry your loss. It's impossible to know for sure without direct observation. Some possibilities might be: the doe is a carrier and they were born with illness or parasites, they were infected through the does milk, something spooked the doe and she trampled them, bites or stings from insects, birth defects or (as you suggest) extreme heat. If your familiar with what to look for, you could open up a few kits and see what you can find. If not, you should ask a vet. to do a necropsy to find out the cause of death. If this is caused by illness or parasites it could be very serious for your other rabbits. Illness and/or parasites could be transmitted to the rest of your herd. If it's birth defects, you will need to alter your breeding program upto and including the culling of certain rabbits to eliminated the bad genes. If it's insects, then you will need to eradicated the offending bug/s. As far as heat, it looks as if your already doing what you can about that. They are in shade and you've installed a mister. About the only other thing would be to use a fan. In a perfect world we would keep the rabbits below 85 F, but that just isn't always practical. Just have to do what we can and try to breed heat tolerant rabbits.

Wish I could be more helpful. Perhaps someone else will have a better idea of what the problem might be.

Good luck,
    MikeL

4. meggie

meggie Well-Known Member

Thanks guys , I had the vet look at the rabbits yesterday he had to come for horse shots anyway. He said he thinks it was heat, the mom is healthy and the one lone baby is doing great. We will name her lucky ( what eles )and she will be used to replace a doe that is nasty and mean.
    The buns are really loving the mister and so does hubby caught him standing in it twice. :p
    Thanks again guys :bow: