Sudden death in pregnant goat

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Croenan, May 2, 2006.

1. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

I recently gave 4 of my goats to an acquaintance who has several goats. She breed my does and this morning, she said that she found one of the goats dead. The goat would have been about 2 months pregnant and has breed well before. She said that Jezebel was acting totally normal and eating and didn't have scours or any other signs that something was wrong. (I am going over to help her bury it in a few)

My question is, can something go wrong in pregnancy this early to cause sudden death? Just curious.

2. Croenan

Croenan Well-Known Member

Just as an FYI...we went over and buried her. Her belly was REALLY big for only being 2 months pregnant. I am wondering if it was bloat.

3. goatkid

goatkid Well-Known Member Supporter

Sorry you lost your doe. Sounds like she bloated. That happened to one of my newly fresh does in March. She was fine when I fed and milked in the morning and still alive when DH went to feed in the late afternoon. When I went to milk at night, I found her dead and bloated.

4. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

if a doe died the only way to find out would be through necropsy. the belly is bloating after she died very fast. so, i would not see that as an indication.

5. Sarah J

Sarah J Well-Known Member

Had she been vaccinated for CD-T? Clostridium kills fast! Lost a perfectly healthy 3 month old kid to it last summer. The only one on the farm who hadn't gotten his vaccination. :(

Sarah