Suckling pig roast......anybody do it?

Discussion in 'Pigs' started by r.h. in okla., Oct 15, 2004.

1. I was reading a while back about a litter of piglets supplying meat for one family for a whole year. They start by eating haveing a suckling pig roast with about a 12-15 pound pig. A few days later they eat the next smallest piglet from the litter. Few days later the next smallest. Every few days or weeks they keep butchering another one. Each time the next piglet is bigger than the last one and last a few more days in the freezer than the last one did. This keeps on till its time to butcher the last one and it should be big enough to last till the next litter is born.

I thought this would be a good ideal for the homestead but I'm not sure if I could get my family to eat baby pigs!

2. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

Hi RH, Go for it. If you wait until the first litter is two months old before you start eating them one at a time, about 6 pigs should last the four months until the sow farrows again. At 6 months you butcher the last pig that should be way over 200 lbs by then. The sow had 8 more pigs the day after you butchered. That gives you 2 months to eat that last big hog you butchered before time to start knocking off the 40 pound shoats. I think you are going to get behind on pigging out on pigs. Why not invite the neighbor hood in for a hog roast? That way you can get them all feeling obligated to you, and any time you need help feel free to ask them. Keep pictures of it all. You may want to write a book about how it's done.

3. Uncle Will. I wouldn't have to worry about finding neighbors to help eat it. Anytime you mention hog fry in my area a lot of my wild injun cuzins come out of the hills and start linning up. Some even bring their best silverware to eat with.

So I guess what your saying is that I could really get behind if I don't eat it everyday? So what did the doctor say caused my death? Too much grease!

4. uncle Will in In.

uncle Will in In. Well-Known Member Supporter

I can see it now, the headlines of your local disturber.
    OKIE HOMESTEADER DIES OF PNEUMONIA AFTER BUTCHERING HOG IN A BLIZZARD. Pork to be served at his wake!

5. dla

dla Well-Known Member

There those homesteaders go making pigs of themselves! :rolleyes:

6. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

With diversified preparation and cooking you could set yourself up with one litter- I'd think. I like to have different meats so chicken, quail, goat, rabbit, guinea, etc. are on my menu but I can probably prepare pork in 2 dozen different dishes with present knowledge. Only problem would be the boredom after a while as I see it.

7. cowgirlone

cowgirlone Well-Known Member

R.H. I cook sucklings and small pigs, but not exactly in that order.
    Right now I have 6 piglets, all from the same litter, but 2 of them are at least 20lbs bigger than the others (different story).
    I am going to butcher each of the pigs at a different time. In other words, the largest is going to be cooked over Thanksgiving week. (have company coming).
    The next to the largest is being saved for the end of this month. (smaller group of friends coming).
    The four smaller ones will be butchered and cooked one or two at a time (depending on how many we need to feed) in the next three months.
    I go out and check the size of their chops and hams twice a day! :D :D