success!

Discussion in 'The Great Outdoors' started by shelljo, Nov 13, 2006.

1. shelljo

shelljo Well-Known Member Supporter

This was my third year bow hunting, and I got my second kill on saturday!

It's definately rut. Had a buck chasing a doe right by my treestand. He's not the one I got, mine was a small 4 x 4. It wasn't a great shot, but I severed his spine, paralyzed his back end. Had to cut his throat. Wish it were a better shot, but he is in the freezer. That's the ultimate goal, right?

I'm going to work on my shooting more. Does everybody have to mentally tell themelves to quit watching the deer and to focus on that dang sight pin and to actually use the peep sight? I swear, I had to tell myself to use that dang sight and to focus on that pin. I did, but I think I pulled the shot, that would be why it was high and to the front of his sholder instead of where it was supposed to be. I think I had a little bit of buck fever, cause after he went down, I sat in my tree and just shook for 10 minutes or so....

DH got one too. He of course had a perfect shot. Guess experience shows.

2. poorboy

poorboy Well-Known Member Supporter

:flame: Muffed a shot onna good buck yesterday evening, but seriously, CONGRATULATIONS..:)

3. Bearfootfarm

Bearfootfarm Hello, hello....is there anybody in there.....? Supporter

What type of target do you use for practice? Ive found it really helps to use a 3-D deer target. It gets you used to sighting at "game" and tells you a lot about shot angles that will work and ones that wont. The longest shot I ever made on a deer was about 40 yds, because I had practiced it so many times in my backyard. When the deer turned broadside, I realized he looked just like my practice target, and I knew if I put the pin about 8 inches above his back Id get him dead center. Also if you hunt from a treestand, practice form one the same height.

Congratulations!!

4. shelljo

Practice on both, dot target and 3-D. And we do have a treestand set up to practice with as well. This was a little different, as he was on the old RR track embankment, so was up higher, not ground level. I think, since I had let one go by 10 minutes before, I was a little anxious. Can we say buck fever? But, yeah, I definately want to practice more. And we do practice quite a bit, but I think many of my mistakes are "newbie" ones and inexperience.

5. jross

jross swamper

This is harder to do than to say, and that is look the arrow to the spot you want hit , and do not drop the bow until the arrow hits it. We all make mistakes with that split second chance one gets when a deer shows up. You got him and that is what counts. I just moved my treestand in the rain, because a high racked 8 pointer picked me out because I moved. After those many years of having deer come from all directions, I moved! Probably old age. DW says I just don't want to shoot them , so I screw up on purpose. She may be right, because getting one in close enough is most of the battle. I said it was catch and release.

6. WildBillTN

WildBillTN Well-Known Member

As a beginning bowhunter, I would just aim "at the deer" and not pick out a specific target, and would often pull the shot. Now I use ole Ted Nugent's adage "pick a hair, and put it there". I say this mantra to myself as I draw down on one now.

7. shelljo

I'm going to remember that " pick a hair" mantra. Cause looking at just that perfect spot behind the shoulder just isn't enough, I was looking at that spot. I swear! :shrug:

I know I prefer bowhunting to rifle. I think it's so much more of a challenge, and you are so much more an active part of the whole experience. There's so much to learn, and I don't think we ever get it right!

8. mink

mink Well-Known Member

you probaly were aiming in the right spot but alot of deer ''duck the string'' meaning that they kinda drop as they go to take off at the sound of the bow string releasing the arrow. they drop a good 6-8 inches as they prepare to take off . the farther away they are the more it matters to aim lower as they have more reaction time.....mink