Success with dog water bottle.

Discussion in 'Rabbits' started by a7736100, Sep 20, 2017.

1. a7736100

a7736100 Well-Known Member

I wanted a large water bottle to hold enough water for the whole day. Petco had a Lixit 44 oz. dog water bottle on sale for $5.29. The rabbits don't seem to be able to use it since it was too big for their little tongues. I was going to return the bottle but on the third day they learned how to use it. I'll buy more for my other cages.

Oregon1986 likes this.
  2. Oregon1986

Oregon1986 Well-Known Member

3. Fire-Man

Fire-Man Well-Known Member Supporter

It is not expensive to buy a automatic waterer for each pen--a little tubing----a 5 gallon bucket or bigger and set them up on automatic watering. You would LOVE it. I have a 20 hole rabbitery---with a 50 gallon tank---I usually have to add water about once a week---according to how many rabbits I have at the time. Because of my 20 hole rabbitery being movable---I do not have the tank auto fill----having a water hose run to it for auto fill would cause the water in the hose to HEAT up and would be adding scalding hot water to the tank when needed so I just run the hose and add when needed.

Last edited: Sep 24, 2017
  4. anniew

anniew keep it simple and honest Supporter

How do you keep the lines from freezing...or isn't it a problem where you are?

5. Fire-Man

I go to water crocks/pans for the few freezing days we have---drain the automatic system. Sure saves a lot of headache for the other App 340/350 days

6. a7736100

a7736100 Well-Known Member

I'm adding water bowls because they seem to drink more from the bowls. Guess it's annoying to have to drink one drop at a time.

7. Fire-Man

Auto waterers have a low pressure steady stream---not a drop at the time. Just for info.