Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So sister to the dead doe (pretty conclusive in retrospect it was a combo of heat and and smoke inhalation, its been a tough week up here in the sierras with the wildfires burning)..

Delivered right on cue (while I was at work) 7 healthy kits- 3/4 NZ and 1/4 Flemish...(dead doe had 7 fetuses)...

New to rabbits, we never see her nursing they seem lively enough (day 4) I got home last night. Child is well meaning but is holding mom in her lap to forsce feed kits 2 or 3 times daily.... is this necessary?

How do you tell if she is caring for them. Initial concern was d/t mom not spending time in the nest box with them.. so they were moved indoors in a dog crate and even now mom spends most of her time on top of the nest box (its a cardboard box with one side cut out ) not with the kits....

Advice would be appreciated!

·
Registered
314 Posts
momma bunnies spend little time with their kits. Sometimes only a few minutes in the morning or evening, or both. It is a protective measure keeping predators from discovering the nest, or if they do discover it, protecting the missing mom.

If the babies are warm and have full bellies in the am and/or pm they are being taken care of. It doesn't take long to see the positive changes in their growth.

·
Registered
1,901 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
momma bunnies spend little time with their kits. Sometimes only a few minutes in the morning or evening, or both. It is a protective measure keeping predators from discovering the nest, or if they do discover it, protecting the missing mom.

If the babies are warm and have full bellies in the am and/or pm they are being taken care of. It doesn't take long to see the positive changes in their growth.
Ok then ,just tough to tell whether its the feeding thats keeping them lively...

I am home thru Sat so will keep assessing (they only got one force feeding today) and seem fine so am leaning towards doe feeding them on the sly- wasnt sure - am used to dogs and cats with their type of snuggling and feeding...

1 - 3 of 3 Posts