Suburban dogs going country, advice?

Discussion in 'Working and Companion Animals' started by ChasingDreams, Apr 22, 2006.

1. ChasingDreams

ChasingDreams Well-Known Member

We are moving in a couple of weeks with our 2 GSD (well, one is questionable lol) They have lived in our backyard (almost a half an acre fenced in) and now we are going to 6 acres... obviously if I want other animals and a garden to speak of - they get a lot less! :p

My question... what type of fencing should we use? We were thinking of wireless invisible fence, but then my flower beds next to the house wouldn't be safe and my kids wouldn't get a pet-free play space (important with a young walker) They need room to roam... but not around the house!

Also - any tips on how I can better "work" them in this environment so they'll be less hyper?

Any tips/help/advice is much appreciated :)

2. Maura

Maura Well-Known Member Supporter

Wireless isn't going to keep other animals out of the area.

You could fence off an area in the back of the house so you can open the door to let them out. This would leave the front fence free. The children's play area could be at the side of the house, and if you have toddlers, you may wish to fence in this area also. If you can afford it, chain link fence should work well. Cattle fencing will work also, esp in the back where it's not on view from the road.

Giving your dogs jobs will help them. GSDs are sentry dogs, bred to keep the sheep on the green and out of the cash crops and gardens. I'm sure you could train them to march the perimeter of the property. You will need to work them on obedience and not allow them to leave your property, and especially not to chase livestock or deer. They should be trained to go to the porch and stay there so that people can come to your house unmolested when the dogs are out with you.

Enjoy your new home! :dance:

3. Lawbag

Lawbag Well-Known Member

IMHO, wireless invisible fencing is a very bad idea out in the country. A lot of the smarter or high energy breeds or the just plain stubborn dogs will find a way through it. And other dogs and critters will get in. Roaming dogs are a big problem in a lot of rural areas. For that reason, I think you should fence different areas for the dogs and kids with good wire fencing.

Some people swear by electric fencing, but I'm not sure that's a great idea with little ones around. We use wire horse fencing for our dog yard, chicken yard, and front yard (temporarily being used for goats and ducks). Corner posts and brace posts are wood, 6 1/2 feet long, and line posts are metal t-posts. It's one of the easiet fences to put up as well, little digging involved. Our dog yard is off the back door.

4. Tango

Tango Well-Known Member

Congratulations on your move :baby04: and ditto on the wireless fencing.... You can buy 330' of field fence for about $112. Place your posts 12 ft. apart and 2 feet down (I didn't check to see your location-might not work everywhere depending on soil). I prefer wood posts- I've heard of dogs getting hung up on t-posts by their collars :( A fence won't keep out all critters but will keep other dogs out and yours in. When we made the suburbia to country move 5 years ago my Great Dane and Rottie loved the change and the Great Dane went through a second puppyhood. They both blossumed and I can't recall any problems with the transition. We dug a pond and swimming became their exercise of choice and way to cool off. Both worked as guardians as they saw fit. The Great Dane was more confrontational and the Rottie more situational (he would situate himself beside me). It was good :)

5. Oceanrose

Oceanrose Driftin' Away

If dogs test the fence, better have those posts 6'apart. Been there, done that, have the t-shirt (with escaping dogs on it......)

6. trappmountain

trappmountain Well-Known Member

First thing I want to say is Thank You! The reason is most people move to the country and think it is ok to let the dogs run free. Since they were not raised around live stock, they chase and even kill neighbors small livestock.

Thank you for being a RESPONSIBLE dog owner!!!!!!

Good luck with your new home, the dogs will love it.

If your dogs like to play ball ( my GSD loved it and it was hard to get her to stop) give them a good game every day. 30 to 45 min. usually is sufficient on top of at least one good long walk. Teach them to do things to help you. Ours enjoyed loading wood and sticks onto the little trailer when we cut up the dead trees in the woods. Find something they already do and expand on it. Do they like to carry things? Push things? Protect things?