Homesteading Forum banner
1 - 20 of 61 Posts

·
Premium Member
3,266 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I posted this on the health board but decided to cross post here too since more ladies read here.

perimenopause. I cant take much more!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is this ever going to end? I'll be 46 in a few weeks and I started having hot flashes when I was 40.

3 years ago I started skipping periods, the first year I skipped 3 months, last year 6 months.. while I enjoy not having periods I'm a crazy woman for a few months when they stop.

I cry at the drop of a hat, I'm so cranky I cant stand myself, I get so sensitive about everything, people get on my last nerve. I go up and down for months then start to even out and feel normal. Then the periods are back and I'm dealing with panic attacks, pms, cramping..

Then I get used to them again and they stop and it starts all over again.

They stopped again last month and I'm about to lose my mind again, knowing how the pattern has worked before I honestly don't know how I'm going to deal with this much longer. I cant stand talking to my mother, my kids and grand kids are driving me nuts. My best friend is dancing on my last nerve. I cant even be in the same room with my sister. The only person I want to be around is my dh and that poor man is running for the hills.

I wont even get started on the physical changes or I'll start crying again. All I'll say is that woman in the mirror cant be me!

I know the problem is me but I cant seem to even myself out, I feel like jumping out of my own skin, I want to be left alone, but at the same time don't.

Somebody please tell me there is light at the end of this tunnel!!

·
A & N Lazy Pond Farm
3,376 Posts
When I got to that point I talked to my Dr. and he agreed to put me on HRT. He said that he did not believe on leaving me on HRT for longer than 18 months, and at 18 months he started me on a reduction program to take me off HRT. It worked for me and is something you might want to talk to your Dr. about.

·
Registered
24,108 Posts
I will be watching this thread closely...Dixigal, I have so many of the same symptoms as you and I never thought of perimenopause. I just turned 46 in Nov. Thank you for bring this up...

·
Registered
2,318 Posts
I have 1 word: ZOLOFT, it works wonders. I took it for a few months to put me back to normal ( if there is such a thing?).
I have been off it for a few months now, but so far i can handle the issues such as mood swings and the like.
I think the hot flashes bother me the most now.
Growing old is so much fun huh? NOT!

·
Registered
190 Posts
oh how I understand...! I'm 48, I've raised 6 kids the youngest of which is going to be 13 in Feb....I can tell anyone anything they want to know about pregnancy, birth, kids, etc.- do you think I ever read up on peri or menopause? Oh noooooo...!

It hit me like a cyclone, and it sucks- nothing is the same as it ever was- I get hot flashes every now and again, haven't had any night sweats or anything like that, periods are weird and off the charts (I had one that lasted for over 2 months, then nothing for 3) and my emotions are just a creepy, scary place to be-

There's a forum I found, for the life of me I can't recall the name, but google "menopause forums" and you'll find it, some sort of gardening forum, and it's chock-full of women, just like us!

·
Registered
4,488 Posts
There are some natural herbal ways to ease the effects if interested.
I know evening primrose oil, vit. e, black cohosh, and camomile have helped.
I had to have total hyst. (everything gone) at age 25. I personally am terrified of HRT's due to the amount of breast cancer in my family. I now drink a soy shake everyday and am doing fine. I know that high doses of soy can cause problems, so I halved the amount and for me this is enough to ward off the hot flashes and keeps me from feeling like I could strangle anyone who gets on my nerves. Also try some sort of exercise for about 20 min. everyday. It really helps me (when I do it :shrug:-lol). Good luck in your search for what works for you. I REALLY understand how you feel.
tyusclan momma

·
www.HarperHillFarm.com
3,089 Posts
Started here around 38 and I'll be 45 in a few months. This is going to sound so simple, but it worked for me. I eliminated caffeine. Not just cut back on it. Completely eliminated it. No chocolate, coffee, pop, etc. Yes, I still have flashes and some irritability, but it's not a life & death sentence anymore.

·
wife,mom,taxi driver,cook
6,674 Posts
43 here and in the throes of it too. I think the hysterectomy almost 4 years ago hastened it up. herbs are working for me.

·
Premium Member
3,406 Posts
Im 34 (35 in a month) and been in it almost 5 yrs now . I have learned to " hide" lol when im really emotional.. My family is understanding. I started w/ hot flashes they come and go... IVE always been hormonal a week before peroid.. but now it varies.
Last year i had one almost every month. But year before i went 6 months with out one!! NOw they have changed in "flow" so... Its all a matter of your body i guess!

·
Registered
2,642 Posts
I turned 50 today. I am still as regular as rain and do not have any symptoms. My MOm had a hyst. early so I have no idea what mine will be like.

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
I turned 50 today. I am still as regular as rain and do not have any symptoms. My MOm had a hyst. early so I have no idea what mine will be like.

Happy Birthday! I turn 50 next September. Let me know how it is.
Birthday blessings.

·
I am a Christian American
2,974 Posts
I had a hysto when i was 30. Still have the ovaries tho so I did not have to deal with it too early. I have hot flashes once in a blue, same with night sweats. Just once in a blue. Everything else is controlled by my anti-anxiety med. I have to take it for social anxiety anyway so it seems to work for me.

·
This is my life
3,869 Posts
started in my 30's. Took HRT for years and then the media scare came and my doc took me off of them.
I was kicking and screaming mad, I aged 10 years in a month and couldn't sleep for days not to mention the night (and day) sweats.
My *night time* activities were cut way back.

I would go back on HRT in a heartbeat but zoloft helped get over the worst of it, I was able to go off them after a year and now just take a sleep aid.

My mom was nuts for about 5 years but I have an aunt that still has flashes and night sweats after 13 years so I have no idea what my future holds.

Don't let anyone tell you that you should tough it out. There is relief out there it is just up to you to tell your doctor what you need.

good luck

·
Premium Member
1,706 Posts
Find a book by Dr. Lee "What your doctor may not tell you about menopause". Then try the Natural Progesterone Cream. Awesome stuff.

Dong Quai has been very helpful for hormonal swings as well.

·
Incubator Addict
3,111 Posts
I will admit that you ladies are scaring me. I am in my early 20s. With both this pregnancy and my last one, I get hot flashes. All the time. One of the OBs I've seen was kind enough to tell me that it was an indicator that I would probably have a tough time once I started going through menopause. Were any of you ladies very emotional during pregnancies and periods or did any of you get hot flashes during pregnancy?

Kayleigh

1 - 20 of 61 Posts