sub-q site bumps still haven't gone away...

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Caprice Acres, Jun 14, 2006.

1. Caprice Acres

Caprice Acres AKA "mygoat" Staff Member Supporter

I don't like giving shots sub-Q. The only thing I've ever tried to give sub-Q was vaccines to my then 4 week old twin doelings. I tried to give it over thier shoulder like you would a cat or dog. Well, not only was it a horrendous struggle; I had to inject part of the vaccine in one side, then the goat would struggle loose and I would have to re-inject the rest on the other shoulder causing two injection sites per goat, But they also screamed bloody murder!! They hardly flinch when I give IM shots! Cadee had an oblong injection site lump for a long time and even lost hair over the area a week or so after I gave it.
    But, as I said, that was last august when they were 4 weeks old. Now they are 10 months old. And they still have small injection site bumps. Yes, they did decrease majorly overtime to this small, pea size, but shouldn't they be gone by now? Is there something I can do to accelerate thier dissapearing?

2. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

When I bought my first wethers, they had injection site bumps that lasted a year!

3. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

you give the shot in the arm pit , not over the shoulder. what size needle did you use? i know you don't like to give sc shots but believe me, the sooner you learn, the better. keep trying. go to the vet and let him?her show you how to do it.

4. Caprice Acres

ahh, the armpit.... that explains alot. My vet told me "just like a dog or a cat" so that didn't help much, as I gave my cat his shots right over the shoulder.
    I think maybe the needle was to big as well... Can't remember what size it was but it was pretty big.
    I've been using 20 ga needles, and have them in 1/2" and 1". Is 20ga good for babies? the 1/2"? I know you're supposed to use 1/2" 20ga for adults sub-q, correct?
    the next non-baby goat that needs an injection is getting it sub-q, lol. Or maybe I could just give one of 'em a vita B shot... Just for practice.

5. susanne

susanne Nubian dairy goat breeder

donna that is a great idea :) give all your animals b shots sc in the arm pit. 20 gauge 1/2" should be fine

6. Caprice Acres

lol vitamin b shots can't hurt!! I'll give them all the vita b shots tomorrow... it's getting late today!!!

7. Caprice Acres

Success!! I gave all of them a dose of Vitamin B complex Sub-q today. Didn't do too badly... At least i know how to do it now.
    :)

8. moonspinner

moonspinner Well-Known Member

I do the armpits too and what a difference. I only got one knot this time and even that went away quickly.