Styrofoam Foundation Forms

Discussion in 'Shop Talk' started by Oshbrg, Apr 15, 2005.

1. Oshbrg

Oshbrg Member

Does anyone have any experience with these forms? I'm building a large shed, and am looking to other posibilities for a foundation. The quote I got for a contractor was $7500 for a six ft poured wall using his forms. I'm wondering if I could do it myself and save a bit, or is the cost and headache of these forms more than I want to deal with? Just a bit of info.. the reason I am going with 6 ft walls is this.... 4ft frost wall and 2 ft above ground to allow for a higher truss hieght inside the shed. Cant go any taller than 10ft studs without using an engineered wall system.

Any thoughts would be great.

Mike

2. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

im not shure wich ones your talking about if its the flat ones you put together i dont know, if its the ones that look like great big cement blocks what do you want to know ive worked with then about 8 years ago building condos

3. agmantoo

agmantoo agmantoo Supporter

4. farminghandyman

farminghandyman Well-Known Member Supporter

you would need to protect the above ground area,

if i was building a shed, and was doing it that way and wanted to do it my self, I would use concrete blocks and mortar them together,

If you want more strength one can use rebar and fill the cores with concrete as well, and they make special bond beam blocks that you can use and lay rebar, horizontal as well. IN my opinion it does not take great skill in laying them,

but first put down a good level footer at least twice as wide as the wall and as thick as the wall , and at lest 2 #4 rebar in it,
    If you measure it out correctly on can run a few rebar up out of the footer and set the block over and have the rebar in the core of the blocks and the rebar doesn't need to the total height of the wall but you do need to lap it at lest a block or so, so if it was out of the footer 4' and when your about 16" form the top of the rebar place another one in and lap to you 6' tall level if you filling cores as you go, which I think is best or at least ever three block high fill the cores, I would use a bond beam at either 2,4, and top or middle and top, and place my bolts in the top bond beam row to bolt down the sill plate, if you don't want to fill all the cores some news paper wadded up in the cores you don't want to fill works,

5. Ed K

Ed K Well-Known Member

I built a house using ICF's. I had an experienced contractor do the installation but to tell you the truth I think a do it yourselfer could make a nice job of it.

The biggest thing he had in his favor (except experience) was

1) A lot of metal crossbracing with turnbuckles to brace the wall during the pour and plumb the walls after the pour but before the concrete set.

2) A specialized nozzle with a manual shutoff to put on the end of the pumper trucks hose

Other than that it looked like a pretty easy construction operation.

The forms I used were ARRX brand.

Good Luck