Stupidest way you've lost a sheep/animal

Discussion in 'Sheep' started by Slev, Feb 22, 2005.

1. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

It's almost that time of year for me, when sheep seem to loose even more brain cells and do truely stupid things in order to die. (I think it's a contest for some of them) For me, it was a fairly large spring lamb that drowned in the eatering tank because it tried to drink from on top of the well, (which was a concrete covered lid) and fell into the plastic water tank. Stupid, ...Here's your sign!

2. Ross

Ross Moderator Staff Member Supporter

I had a ewe drown in a 15 litre pail after the handle swung up and trapped her head in the water. I had a ewe, birth into a full pail of water while standing. almost all of them think they can catch a 700 pound round bale off the loader tractor, I had one that proved she couldn't (but that's as much a stupid shepherd as the sheep) I've had more too but your right sheep are either suicidal or thrill seekers with no common sence.

3. SmokedCow

SmokedCow Well-Known Member

Lets see... I have yet to have a ewe commit suicide! :haha: I'm always worried about ewes lambing in water buckets so i make sure they dont have them during the nights...It happens! Never had a bale fall on a ewe...wow...thats a new one! :eek: I guess we have only lost to over eatting...sometimes i feel the pigs are sheep and the sheep are PIGS!
    AJ

4. Slev

Slev Well-Known Member Supporter

o come on now- more people out there have lost sheep in a stupid way than me, Ross & Smokedcow..!

Once a herding friend of mine came down and brought her dog. The dog was somewhat abusive to sheep and I didn't want ALL of my sheep hurassed so I locked some of them up in the barn.

We took turns back and forth working our dogs and then decided to go over to another friends place about 20 minutes away. When we got back it was late so she left and headed back to Wisconsin. It was Sunday night and Monday was the next day. (Do you see where this is going?) So, as the week went on until the following weekend when I had to work. It was Saturday afternoon, (of the following week) when my wife called me and asked: "Last weekend, when Mary was down, did you lock some of the sheep up in the barn?" My first responce was "Yes" thinking why did she ask me, when all of a sudden it hit me, that I forgot to go back and let them out! My head was filled with visions of dead bloated sheep with their feet sticking straight up. After that gruesome image was firmly in my mind. I asked how many are dead? she said asked how amny did you put in there, and I said "7 I think." (Are you ready for this one......) She said "Well then you have 8 in here right now!" Yes, one of the ewes had a stress-baby lamb while locked for a week in the barn. No food or water, but when I got home I recalled having just put a fresh salt block in the barn and it was all but gone.!!!! Whew, that was close..... And I bet you thought there was going to be a bunch of dead sheep in the barn. Well, I guess that one made up for the stupid one that drowned it's self in the water tank.

5. CountryFried

CountryFried Well-Known Member

Slev,

I can say I appreciate your honestly about the sheep incident in the barn ! ha It's alot easier to talk about something stupid the sheep have done to DO theirself in, it's quite another to expose how stupid we have been at times .

Here's my story , and it's VERY recent so if I cry while talking........

I have Jacobs , ones with the pretty spots. I've had them for some time, but until recently have been to tied up working (landscaping) , so that I've not learned enough about taking good care of them. This breed is extremely hardy , which has been to their advantage coming to live with us !

Just the other nite we were watching a ewe who separated herself from the flock and went into the woods to lamb. From 5pm to 1 am I went out and checked her. She is so flighty that she would run away at our approach. If I had thought she would go in the barn , I would've tried . But these my dad gave me, and this one was pretty wild.

I just had this feeling to keep checking... but my husband reminded me of their ability to lamb unassisted for the most part.

When I checked on her in the early morning, she HAD a lamb next to her ! Whew! I was looking for the placenta( just found out I should do this), when...... Oh My Gosh.. there were two more lambs dead. Frozen . ( it was a semi cold nite here for TN. )

I wonder if she just kept popping lambs out and just focused on the one? It was so terrible. They were perfect little bodies.

My husband thinks that even if I had put her up she may have done the same thing. But I blame myself , for not being a better shepherd. I have one lamb in the barn I am bottle feeding already, but how does someone prevent this ?? Do most of you put expectant ewes in the barn ? We have lots of hay , but not the kind they like. So , that was out for us.

I sincerely want to be a good manager of my flock. I have done more reading , plus joined a yahoo group to learn, before all of this happened. But I suppose this is just part of being a farmer. Taking the bad with the good. At least that thought helps me to not quit doing it altogether.

Sherry

This is my BAD story of losing a sheep.

6. BDB

BDB BDB

I had a ram not to long ago got its scrotum caught on something and riped his stomach open in front of his scrotum i did not notice it till to late had to put him down BDB

7. SmokedCow

Slev...im the oppasite...we feed them tomuch and forget to lock them up! Oh...we lost 1 lamb. But it happens. The ewe who had triplets made up for the 1st time ewe with twins! :haha: So far we have 2 singles 6 twins and a triplet! A good year so far!
    Aj

8. SilverVista

SilverVista Well-Known Member

Stupid deaths... OK, this one wasn't sheep, it was our beautiful Oberhasli buck. They can be stupid too, but with attitude!

DH had rented a ditch witch to run water lines to each of the pastures so we could have automatic waterers on the stock tanks. The ditches were about 3 feet deep and about 18 inches wide, and were open for about a week while he laid all the pipe. The buck got out, and was in a pasture with an open ditch going through it. The next morning, he was gone. By afternoon I was really bugged, and went searching for him. He had gotten into one of the narrow ditches, and struggled till he threw himself over backwards, and was firmly wedged in, upside down, with his hooves just showing above the ditch. GRRRR!

The silver lining is that I got a Boer buck later in the year, and his kids are worth twice what the Oberhasli crosses were!

Susan

9. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Well...one evening last summer we heard a horn honking and looked outside to see a semi truck going up the road honking at a ewe and her lamb...who were dumb enough to think there was more grass out on the road than in the pasture. No one died, though...thankfully! The same ewe still insists on the grass being greener between the road and the ditch, however, than in her pasture. :no: It's a good thing I love her!

10. fordson major

fordson major construction and Garden b Supporter

We had one last summer. The ewes were pastured beside a ditch with a page wire fence. A tree gave way a tore down part of the fence and since the field the other side of the ditch was next to graze and time short just through open the gate further down the fence .5 days later had a tremendous down pour that flooded the ditch and washed over the culvert at the field entrance. Had a ewe decide that since there was water in her way by the gate she would just leap over the break in the fence! There was six inchs by the gate and better than five feet in the ditch.sheep are very heavy when wet and she sank! Found her after she bloated and floated up stream.

11. mawalla

mawalla Well-Known Member

I've been lucky and haven't lost any sheep due to their stupidity but there have been a few close calls. We've learned to look under trucks and trailers before moving them since the sheep love to crawl under them during the summer. I've had to cut many field fences because the silly things stuck their heads through but couldn't get them out again. I've had lambs crawl behind panels and not be able to find their way out. Just the other day I heard bawling from the area where the round bales are stored. A lamb had gotten in, tried to play King of the Hill and slipped down between them. I'm sure I looked pretty funny with MY butt stuck up in the air trying to get the silly girl out. (I did succeed.)

12. kit

kit Well-Known Member

We have a long wall in the corals that we have an opening from the outside in order to walk along and pour grain without being stampeded!! The lambs used to get out through the feed trough and run/play/nibble at the haystack. We thought nothing of it - in fact it was rather cute........... until one morning we went to do chores and a row of bales had fallen down and caught one of the lambs in mid jump and crushed it! Poor thing........ Well, we have since covered the outside with chicken wire so they can't get out!!!!!

But, I'm sure something else is bound to get us sooner or later! My husband always says: "When you have livestock you eventually have deadstock!".

13. ARB

ARB New Member

A few years ago we had an old ewe that would come out of the gate when we would go in to feed the sheep hay. At that time I had a 400 IH tractor. Well one day while backing out of pen I felt the back tire roll over something and as I looked down in front of the tire there was this ewe with a tire mark across her belly. Well I stopped got down off the tractor to see how bad she was busted up. I helped her up and she walked away. Well I thought she would go off some where and die, but she didn't 2 weeks later she had 2 nice big lambs. So sometime there harder to kill then you think.

14. SmokedCow

Wow! reading about sheep and tractors made me think about the other day. We have a little yaho and the feed yard next to each toerh. well the lil yard is higher up so we put the lambs/ewes in there and ones who havnt lambed yet in the feed yard. Well...we put the hay feeder in between the 2 yards like a fence with a bale.....when putting the bale in there...the ram wouldnt move and i thought for sure we woule run him over! but we didnt...I'm glad to hear your ewe ddint die and glad to hear she had her lambs on time!
    AJ

15. prhamell

prhamell Well-Known Member

Last spring we had a yearling ewe who I thought wasn't bed. Kept her outside with the others while my ewes who had lambed were inside. Next morning I found a dead lamb next to the yearling ewe. It had been a cold night and the lamb must of just froze where it was dropped. It was a bad lambing season over all for us. Neighbor down the road had an obnoxious ram who loved to play king of the mountain on the hay bales which were stacked in the corner of a pen. Until the ram lept off and impaled himself on a corner fence post. The neighbor no longer keeps hay bales piled up in the pen. Gruesome. Becky

16. thelowefarm

thelowefarm Member

Having just started out and started small, we thought we were doing great when we fabricated a hay feeding rack with a slanted ply-board roof to shed rain. Even the vet complimented us on it.

Came home from work the other day and it had fallen on one ewe and she was pinned beneath it, laying right across her neck! Only her head was sticking out and the rest of her body was out of sight underneath. She's still with us and doing better every day, but we're not sure she'll be able to be bred this fall and she was one of our best looking ewes.

Needless to say we're modifying our fabrication.