Stupid question about pickles

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by starjj, Jun 22, 2005.

1. starjj

starjj Well-Known Member Supporter

OK this may be really stupid BUT here goes

DH bought cumcumber plants turned out some were the slicing cumcumbers BUT it seems that the other ones are the kind you make pickles out of. I didn't plan on making pickles as I never had tried it and it seems like a whole lot of work for what we would eat (we are not big pickle eaters in fact DH hates dill pickles). They are getting to the size of the kosher dills you see in the deli department. SOOOOOO I was wondering if you can use them as slicers or what do I do besides pickling them.
    Neighbors aren't into gardening or anything besides going to the store and buying their food so I can't get rid of them that way. We are the ONLY ones for miles around that actually grow anything for themselves besides a few that grow one or two tomatos.

2. via media

via media Tub-thumper

Hi there,

You might find better experts in the Cooking/Crafts section, but I can tell you in my own experience that I use pickling cukes in place of slicers when I make macaroni salad.

I use cucumbers instead of celery, and I prefer the pickling ones because they are less watery.

/VM

3. Ana Bluebird

Ana Bluebird Well-Known Member Supporter

I use all kind of pickles for all kind of things---whatever, doesn't matter to me. But then I make 9-day sweet pickles EVERY year, eat them, give them as presents, make great gifts to new neighbors, or someone you're just visiting. I try to make just enough to last the year so they don't get too old in the jar. It's not hard at all and they make the best sweet relish for those deviled eggs, potato salad, macaroni salad---yummy. People notice, then I give them a jar. I love to give stuff away, guess I should be selling them, hugh?

4. HilltopDaisy

HilltopDaisy Well-Known Member Supporter

You can use them in place of regular cukes. Also, there is a brand of pickle mix, I think it's called Mrs. Wages (something like that), it's pretty reasonably priced and very good tasting. I've used it for pickles and didn't bother "canning" them, just kept them in the fridge. They don't last long as they are very good.

5. starjj

Ana do you have a receipe for them you could e-mail me? They sound wonderful. I give away sooooo much stuff too I just like to share. I make bannana bread and zuchinni bread all the time and give it away. My E-mail is STARSTARJ@aol.com if you could share the receipe.

6. FolioMark

FolioMark In Remembrance

illinois but i have a homestead building in missou
    Actually I prefer pickling cukes for eating especially the smaller ones. Frankly I think big cukes are tasteless. I'd use those pickling cukes fresh off the vine while they are still fairly small. Dont peel them and they will be crisp and full of flavor. I eat them raw right out of the garden for a snack. You couldnt give me those huge water and seed filled monsters you buy in the grocery. :)

7. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Try cucumbers in sour cream (and you can use any type of cucumber) -- this is basically peeled and sliced cucumbers with salt and vinegar and sour cream. Yum! Tastes a bit like sour cream dip.

Also, you don't have to make dill pickles, there are "bread and butter" pickles, there are "sweet" pickles -- and you can make some types of pickles from cucumbers that are smaller than the large dilling size -- or spears -- or . . .

You will have fun if you try. Good luck.

8. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

I have eaten Mary's cucumbers in sour cream. They are very good. Try it!

Mary, I'd appreciate it if you'd post that Amish mac salad recipe' sometime, that was very good too.

9. starjj

Would love to make bread and butter ones! If you have a good receipe could you pass it on also the amount of vinegar in the receipe for sour cream and cumcumbers? Thanks!

10. ellebeaux

ellebeaux Well-Known Member

I'm looking for a hot and sweet pickle recipe like the hot bread and butter kind at the grocery. I can't find the ones I like anymore! They were thick and wavy cut and yummy. But now that I bought canning supplies, I'd like to try to make my own.

Any suggestions?

thanks,

Beaux

11. exegeses

exegeses Well-Known Member

Our family likes cucumber salad so much that I've never had enough cukes to make pickles!

Cucumber Salad
    cucumbers
    1/2 onion (or to taste)
    Italian salad dressing (I use the packets and add my own olive oil & cider vinegar - no water)
    sour cream

Slice cucumbers VERY thin (after preparing them to your liking: leave whole, peel, de-seed, etc.) and leave them to sit in a bowl for an hour or so. Then squeeze out all water. Slice onion very thin also - the amount will vary with how much cucumber you prepare. Place some (not too much) sour cream in a bowl and add enough Italian salad dressing to make a 'creamy' dressing. Toss with the cucumbers and onion. One note: this salad will be totally different (and not NEARLY as good) if you use mayonnaise instead of sour cream!

We could eat this evey day - and do sometimes!

12. Kygardengal

Kygardengal Well-Known Member

I no longer plant regular cucumbers . I only plant the pickling kind. We prefer it to the slicing kind because the seeds are smaller, the skin is not as tough and they have better flavor...I don't make pickles anymore since no one here eats them but me.

13. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

you can pickle anything.
    I pickle zuchini that get to large and tough to cook, they make great crispy pickle hunks.

14. Nax

Nax Well-Known Member

My favorite thing to make out of pickles that got away is to put them into an easy sweet/sour brine. One cup (part) vinegar to one cup (part) sugar, thinly sliced onions and pickles, a little pepper to taste, and let them sit. The longer they sit, the better they are. They're really good chilled. Nothing easier to make.

15. MaryNY

MaryNY Well-Known Member

Hi Woodsrunner!! How are you? How is Hunter? Tell him I said "meow"!

Here are a few recipes -- which I am posting here because that's where this thread is and where it originated.

Cucumbers in Sour Cream #1

Peel, then thinly slice 3 cucumbers, put in a bowl with room to stir them.
    Add, 1-1/2 teaspoons salt, 1/8 teaspoon pepper, 3 Tablespoons chives or onion, minced (I use onion); 1 Cup commercial sour cream, and 2 Tablespoons lemon juice (generally I use apple cider vinegar). Mix well; refrigerate until ready to be served. Makes 4-6 servings.

Cucumbers in Sour Cream #2

3 or 4 young cucumbers
    1 medium-sized onion, thinly sliced
    1 Tablespoon salt (if you don't salt and let sit, you may want to cut back on this)
    2 Tablespoons sour cream
    1 Tablespoon apple cider vinegar
    1 Tabelspoon chopped parsley, fresh or dried (I skip it, usually)
    Dash of pepper

Peel cucumbers and slice very thin. Add sliced onion and salt. Place in a bowl, cover with a saucer and weigh it down . Let stand at lesst a half an hour. Drain and gently squeeze out juice. (I skip this salting and sitting part). Add sour cream, vinegar and parsley. Taste and correct seasoning. (A dangerous thing to do - you will eat the whole dish on the spot!). Add pepper. You may need more salt (I doubt that!). Do not refrigerate; serve at once. Serves 4.

You can play with these two recipes, add more sour cream, add more vinegar -- use more cucumbers!! This dish just tastes good - period!

Gram's Pickled Cucumbers

This is my mother's recipe. Really "old-fashioned" and simple.

Peel and thinly slice cucumbers into a dish they will all fit in.
    Add oil, cider vinegar, salt and pepper to taste. Cover and refrigerate until meal time. (Actually these can be served immediately or chilled, they still taste great!)

By the way - Carla has a great recipe for "Fresh Cucumber Pickle" or something like that in her cookbook - or she used to. Maybe if someon asks on her Forum she will post it for you.

Bread and Butter Pickles

4 quarts thinly sliced cucumbers (40 to 50)
    1/2 Cup canning salt
    Ice cubes
    2 quarts thinly sliced onions
    1 quart cider vinegar
    4 Cups granulated white sugar
    1 Tablespoon celery seed
    2 Tablespoons mustard seed
    1 Tablespoon ginger (fresh or a chunk would be better than ground, but I wouldn't let that stop me - I'd use ground if that's all I had)
    1 Teaspoon Turmeric (optional) (I don't use it)
    1/2 Teaspoon white pepper (optional) (I would use black pepper if I put it in at all)

* Gently stir salt into thinly sliced cucumbers. Cover with ice cubes; let stand 2 or 3 horus or until cucumbers are crisp and cold. Add more ice if it melts. Drain, add onions.

* Combine remaining ingredients; bring to a boil quickly and boil 10 minutes. (Use and enamel or stainless steel pot -- NOT aluminum)

* Add cucumber and onion slices and bring to boiling point. Pack at once in hot jars. Process in boiling water bath (212 deg. F.) 30 minutes.

* Remove jars from canner and complete seals if necessary (it won't be unless you use clamp lid jars)

Makes 8 pints.

Okay Woodsrunner, this one is for you:

This recipe is geared for large groups - just divide in half or thirds or quarters -- for small groups -- it will taste great anyway!

Macaroni Salad

5 Cups macaroni (elbows, shells, etc.)
    5 quarts boiling water
    1-1/2 Tablespoons salt
    1/2 Cup finely chopped green pepper
    1/2 Cup finely chopped red pepper
    2 Teaspoons celery salt
    5 hard-boiled eggs, chopped
    1 Cup sweet pickles, chopped (I use sweet pickle relish)
    1/2 lb. cheese, cut in small cubes
    3 cups salad dressing/mayonnaise

Cook macaroni in water according to directions. Drain and chill. Combine rest of ingredients with cold macaroni in a large bowl. Toss lightly until well mixed.

Whew!! That was a lot of typing!!

Enjoy!

MaryNY

16. ThreeJane

ThreeJane Me Love Your Face

With cukes, there's also tzatziki.

You grate two large cukes, press the water out of them, mix 'em with a cup or two of plain yogurt. In addition to the yogurt, you add in some salt, pepper, and garlic powder. Add a little bit of lemon juice too, mix it all up good. Let the whole thing sit for an hour or so. Eat with pita bread (the greasier the better). Also works strangely well as a dip for fries!

17. woodsrunner

woodsrunner Well-Known Member

Thanks Mary! I remember it being soo good, but, couldn't remember the ingredient that was different. It's the cheese.

Hunter is doing good. Having fairly long hair this heat is bugging him a bit though. Maybe I'll fire up the AC for him tonight. Last night he slept between me and the fan. LOL, he's not a cat, he's a hog.