Stupid question about fluffing up hay

Discussion in 'Goats' started by Nancy_in_GA, Dec 12, 2006.

1. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

When we put out hay for our goats we just toss the bales in the feeder, cut and remove the baling twine, and run. They all seem to get a charge out of jerking and ripping the hay out of the bale, rather than just picking it up loose.

My friend, who grew up on a farm, said he never saw anyone feed animals like that, they always fluffed up the hay, but he doesn't know WHY they did it like that.

Is there danger of it molding if it isn't fluffed up? What do you do?

2. DocM

DocM Well-Known Member

Fluffing it up just encourages them to waste more of it. Everyone here (cattle, horses, goats, sheep) gets their hay in brick form, or pellets.

3. Kazahleenah

Kazahleenah Disgruntled citizen

I never fluff mine either... they waste more if I do, and it seems to ease boredom when they have to sort of "work" at it to get the hay in the feeder..

Kaza

4. fishhead

fishhead Well-Known Member Supporter

If it didn't mold in the bale it shouldn't mold in the feeder unless it gets wet.

5. Nancy_in_GA

Nancy_in_GA Well-Known Member

Great! Much easier to just toss and run. :)

The hay rack is under a shed roof attached to the barn, so it doesn't get rained on.

We have sort of a catch basin underneath the bale racks where the loose hay falls. They don't touch the fallen stuff until the bales on top are all torn to shreds. Then they bury their heads in the loose stuff to look for the goodies. Guess they are spoiled.