Stupid Neighbors

Discussion in 'Homesteading Questions' started by big rockpile, Jan 11, 2005.

1. big rockpile

big rockpile If I need a Shelter

Got a Guy that owns property on down the lane.Him and his Son come up here every so often.

Well Sunday seen them unloading ATV over on Goverment Land.Then I seen them leaving that evening.Well yeaterday I went to get wood,another neighbor came down there posting his property,seems them guys run their ATV on his property.Well I got to looking they had run some on my property.My property is posted.

But what really upsets me,they made a big mud hole out of the spring across the lane,it is not my property or theirs.But all that mud runs over on me.Called the law they said there wasn't anything I could do because it isn't my property.

Should I just talk to them next time their here or not worry about it?Any ideas?Their suppose to be making Meth back there,and they did have one stolen ATV.But the law won't do anything about this either.

big rockpile

2. TexasArtist

TexasArtist Well-Known Member

About the stolen atv, maybe post a thing in the newspapers, without your name of course, that they have a stolen atv and the police wouldn't do anything to return it to the rightfull owner. Basically embarrass the police. :D

3. big rockpile

The ATV was stolen in another county.

You don't want to embarrass anyone around here in Local Goverment.They will make sure that life is very hard on you.I know I've done tried it,and I can't afford to lose as much or more than I did before. :(

big rockpile

4. Ozarkquilter46

Ozarkquilter46 Well-Known Member

Well I didn't see anything about stollen atv's but as far as the srping. Call the conservation people in your area, you know how us Ozarker's are about our natural springs :) or find out who own's the property through the local county plat map office and get ahold of them and let them know what is going on. I would talk to them about running on your property face to face. If that dosn't do the trick file a restraining order to keep them off you property. I only say that because I don't think it costs much to do and if they get hurt on your place they can't sue you do to them breaking the law going on your land. People get hurt on ATV's all the time. Oh my husband found out that most people can't sue you for your place if you have a morgage on it. Even if it's a small one. That gets the banks, or morgage co. involved and most courts and attornies don't want to waist time in a case they can't win. If you own you place outright they can win it without any trouble. A friend of ours had somome hurt on there place (somone who was not supost to be on the land) and he told them he was going to own it before all was said and done. They found out from a friend he couldn't get anyone to take the case because there was a loan on the place and the ones that hold the morgage was the owner outright till the place was paid for. :) Just somthing to think about.

5. kesoaps

kesoaps Well-Known Member

Yes, you talk to the guys with the ATV and ask them not to do it anymore, but don't wait, make a point of calling them as soon as you get the chance. Tell them they're making a mess by running through the spring. If your land is dry enough for them to ride on, and you don't mind, it should be a fair enough trade off. (Does the owner of the spring not mind them trashing it?)

BTW...how do you know the ATV is stolen?

6. wy_white_wolf

wy_white_wolf Just howling at the moon

I'd find out who the owner of that ATV (the stolen one) was and call him. Last time someone stole something from me I spent 3 times what it was worth to see them punished. Thieves just **** me off.

7. rambler

rambler Well-Known Member Supporter

'Meth people' have a history of not caring & being extremely rude & in your face & vengeful.

This country is becoming full of 'the law' that doesn't care.

It's a tough deal. I don't know what I'd do in this case. It's easy for me to tell you to go talk to them, but will that produce positive results, indifference, or a world of trouble to your property?

My reply is no help to you, but think carefully. If they are users as well as producers, typically there is no reason at all left in their heads, talking won't do anything but make you a target.

We live in difficult times.

--->Paul

8. dreadstalker

dreadstalker Well-Known Member

follow their tracks most operators of meth labs leave pretty clear signs of usage.then contact the state police about a suspected meth lab,i can't see them ignoring it with all the publicity of the meth epedemic

9. big rockpile

The owner of the property lives in another state.The ATV has to be hot wired,I know this alone don't mean it has been stolen,but knowing the guys and other things they have done,if I was a betting man I would say its stolen.

big rockpile

10. jack_c-ville

jack_c-ville Well-Known Member

Actually, a mortgage holder is *not* the owner of the property. They just have a lien on it. Even if you buy with no money down, you are legally the owner. The lender's rights with regard to the property are very limited and their liability for anything that happens on it is zero. They would have no involvement at all in a lawsuit against the property owner for injury occuring on that property.

Real estate is not (ever?) awarded as a judgement in a suit over injury. The judge awards X amount of money and if the judgement is not paid then a series of events can be set into motion that leads to the forced sale of the home in order to pay the judgement. The way that this works is that the judge appoints a trustee to oversee the sale. Probably it will be listed like any other real estate. When the property sells, the bank is first in line for their equity under the lein. Then the court takes the rest of the money up to the limit of the judgement and gives that to the plaintiff. The remainder (if any) goes to the former property owner.

Ultimately, this whole process would not be of any enormous concern to the bank. Property that they have mortgaged may be bought and sold at any time even withoout a lawsuit involved.

It's a moot point really. Because if the property is financed then the owner is required to carry insurance on it. Assuming that the limits are adequate, the insurer will have to pay the judgement, keeping the property owner's assets secure. Liability coverage has far fewer 'ifs and or buts' than property coverage does. If you're sued, you're almost always covered.

Overall, having a mortgage on a piece of property is not any kind of protection against lawsuits. Nor can an injured trespasser be awarded title to a property by a judge, with or without a mortgage on it.

-Jack

11. mightybooboo

mightybooboo Well-Known Member

A slightly different spin on the mortgage/sue thing.I heard this on a program on how to protect assets.

You dont get sued on mortgaged property because if there isnt any equity of yours,then why sue,cant get blood from a turnip. :no:

If you own the property heres what they said to do.You create a paper company that 'loans' you whatever the property is worth.If a lawyer does an asset search,they see the property as mortgaged to the hilt.If they dont do their homework and check out the leinholder(your paper company),they wont sue,because you havent any assets they can see to go after. :D

FWIW,just something I heard about.

BooBoo

12. coso

coso Well-Known Member Supporter

If someone bought the place on a Contract for Deed instead of using a Deed of Trust as the agreement, then whoever they bought the property off of would be the one that would be sued because legally there was no transfer of property !! That may be what the earlier poster was talking about. A lot of these RE people split up farms into 5 to 20 acre parcels and sell them( with little or no down) on a Contract for Deed like this.

13. Highground

Highground Well-Known Member

Had trouble with 4 wheelers making a mess on my posted mountain property a few years ago. A few boards full of nails covered with leaves put a very expensive stop to that.
    To this day, I don't know how the boards got there :haha:

Had trouble with them on northern Michigan property and leased the hunting rights to a guy down the road, now he has the right to call the cops whenever needed. Best peace of mind I ever got for $20.00

14. mtman

mtman Well-Known Member

they do have to go out now and then i think meth labs have a history of blowing up so a fire when no one is there would not raise suspition just a thought

15. I know that ATV's and Waverunners are a lot of fun to play around on. I know cause I've been on both a time or two. But in my honest to God opinion they are more trouble than they are worth. I wished they would outlaw both of them. A lot of people have no respect for game laws, the forrest, or other people who are fishing nearby. And I know this from experience as well.

16. Rivka

Rivka Well-Known Member

if the local cops won't help you- go to the DEA, local police hate nothing more than federal involvement- and the feds do have jurisdiction if meth production is thought to be going on. (probable cause- just make sure you have more than my neighbor's neighbor said).
    If meth manufacturing is going on, the feds technically have the right to seize any property that is used during the commission of the manufacture- yours- the person who owns the spring- your neighbor. It is called the Civil Forfieture Act. Basically it allows them to seize and auction property- even if the owner is innoent- becuase the property committed a crime.

17. 65284

65284 Well-Known Member Supporter

Hey R. H. in Okla.,

"But in my honest to God opinion they are more trouble than they are worth. I wished they would outlaw both of them. A lot of people have no respect for game laws, the forrest, or other people who are fishing nearby. And I know this from experience as well".

In my honest to God opinion that is about the most arrogant, ignorant, short sighted statement I have heard in a long time.

More trouble than they are worth? You obviously have no idea how much a lot of us depend upon ATV's, especialy some of us seasoned citizens. I use mine virtualy everyday, I haul hay, feed, wood, check and repair fences, check the cattle in a pasture that can only be reached by ATV or on foot, and a lot of other things. I don't suppose it ever occured to you that for every jerk that misuses one there are a multitude of folks who legitimately, legally, and safely use them. Without mine I simply would have to give up my livestock, I need both hips and knees replaced, but manage ok with the assistance of my Polaris. You seem to think that because someone has disturbed your fishing all ATV's should be outlawed, and a lot of folks would be denied a very valuable tool they need to help support and feed themselves. GET OVER YOURSELF!!!!

18. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

to have fun on their ATV, they have to "abandon" the truck they brought it there in.

this means, at some point there is a time frame where they are not watching said truck.

now the funny thing about linseed oil and gasoline, after about 6 hrs of run time the mix forms an epoxy film on the cylinder walls of the engine and well we all know what epoxy does.
    depending on run time it may take 2 days to a week for the engine to "lock".

if they are packing a large gas can for the ATV, spike that too.
    one quart to 10 gal ratio should do the job, after you are sure they are sufficently far way not to see or hear you.
    of course I would never do anything like this its just something I overheard while getting my hair cut. people who do these types of things are "bad".

right?

19. comfortablynumb

comfortablynumb Well-Known Member

while I was getting that haircut some evil person asked well what if the tank cap is locked?

another very bad citizen commented that a giant basting syringe and needle can be inserted in any "soft" rubber hose connection between the tank and filler neck under ay car or truck.
    I tell you the horrible things you hear and people you meet in barber shops....

20. inc

inc Well-Known Member

"file a restraining order to keep them off you property..(in case they hurt themselves)
    If you own you place outright they can win ( a negligence lawsuit) without any trouble. A friend of ours had somome hurt on there place (somone who was not supost to be on the land) and he told them he was going to own it before all was said and done. They found out from a friend he couldn't get anyone to take the case because there was a loan on the place and the ones that hold the morgage was the owner outright till the place was paid for. Just somthing to think about. "

please listen to this-no matter what the 'accuracy' of it- they are looking to cash into your equity- if you are one of the very few anymore, that actually own your property instead of your bank collecting those payments on it. those ozark lawyers wont fleece their bank buddies but they will fleece you.

"You don't want to embarrass anyone around here in Local Goverment.They will make sure that life is very hard on you.I know I've done tried it,and I can't afford to lose as much or more than I did before."

rockpile- it is my opinion that they are going to do it to you anyway.if not now, later.sit still and quiver in fear if you wish. i jsut watched them workover my RECENTLY widowed mother- at least they had the manners to actually wait until the old man was dead! (or perhaps they were scared of him?) so do what you must.
    i only wish that someday i get to pay each and evrey one of them back for it all.