Homesteading Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My neighbors kids (4,6,and 9) have been telling their mother that they want a goat. Keep in mind that these kids are afraid to go into the pen with my 2 pygmy's. These are also the people who, in the 7 years I have lived there, have gone through half a dozen dogs, two or three cats and an uncountable number of pocket pets. Each time they come over to show me their latest victim, I mean pet, I cringe.I know it is in for a short but miserable life.
I have "donated" many dollars worth of frontline and wormers, nail trims and flea baths. I hate to see an animal suffer.
The mom and I are neighborly, the kids make me nuts. When she told me that she was getting the kids a puppy for Christmas I reminded her that she has not had the best luck with dogs in the past. Just so happens that the sister of the lady that ran over their last dog knew someone who had a dog they needed to get rid of. Yippie! Well by Easter they said he was getting to be a pest and needed to be an outside dog. Easter Bunny brought a new puppy and "old" puppy was gone. I didn't ask where. New pup is now on a chain on the side of the house. Poor thing doesn't even have a dog house.
Fast fwd to Sunday. Knock on door........"guess what we got!!?".
Much to my dismay it was a young pygmy, very thin, in tact, with horns, walking on a leash. Poor thing was trying to eat anything he could get his lips on, including my azalia!
The Mom asked how to take care of it. Little late if you ask me. Asked if it could stay in the house for a while or should she put it in the yard on a chain? I really think she thought I was going to say "'hey, just throw it in with my goats!!". I did not!!
I told her it needed to be wormed and if she didn't want it peeing on it's beard and chasing her kids around the yard with it's tongue hanging out (you should have seen her eyes) , neutered!!
I gave her a flake of hay, a baggie full of alfalfa pellets and some baking soda, told her to take it easy on the ammount of food for a few days, by the looks of him he had not been getting enough, and the name of a few vets. I just wanted the poor thing out of my yard before it donated something to my goats.
I feel awful for the poor guy and guilty for not offering to keep him at my place, but I just can't risk the health of my two. They are only pets but thanks to all of you here I know better than to take a chance. Did I do the right thing?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
I think you did fine. ...you can't be responsible for them and it was nice to try to get them started on the right foot, but you have to remove yourself now. It sounds like heartache waiting to happen.

·
Registered
2,684 Posts
You did the right thing; and being tactful keeps you in "helping" distance for those poor animals. Maybe some of your common sense will rub off on the kids eventually. I was probably one of "those kids"-an animal lover with little common sense...4-H turned me around as far as animal care went and now I am teaching my child YOUNG about proper care, etc. I LOVE it when friends come over for play dates, and she teaches them about proper holding techniques for her bunny, or I hear her say, "Don't treat him like that! You need to do this..." That being said, if things are bad, you can always call the humane society anonymously, I think.

·
Premium Member
4,057 Posts
You did the right thing.

I have a neighbor like that too and its very frustrating. I have gone down, brushed her horses, trimmed their hooves and cut the mats out of her dogs' eyes. She got mad at me for that last item because "yorkies aren't supposed to have their hair cut". grrr...

I wouldn't let her bring the goat on my property at all. Hopefully, they will tired of him and you can help to get him placed elsewhere. Not to mention -just one goat?

·
Cashmere goats
2,023 Posts
Good for you. i agree, you did the right thing. IF they want the goat then it needs to stay wit hthem. did you tel them that chaining that goat up was a sure way of it getting killed? (getting attacked by anything and not being able to get away). I would not of let it wit hmine either . You have no idea if it has CL or CAE.

·
Cashmere goats
2,023 Posts
Good for you. I agree, you did the right thing. IF they want the goat then it needs to stay with them. Dd you tell them that chaining that goat up was a sure way of it getting killed? (getting attacked by anything and not being able to get away). I would not of let it with mine either . You have no idea if it has CL or CAE.

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I did remind them of the trouble I have been having with another neighbor's loose dog's trying to eat my goats and pig. Also reminded them that those were the same dog's that got a-hold of their puppy a month or so ago. Chaining it was not a a great idea in my opnion.
I chose NOT to mention the fact that a lone goat would be, well, lonely.
Thanks for making me feel a bit better about my decision. Still feel bad for the goat though...........

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
I completely understand! It is such a bad thing, to live next to neighbors like I have and see them abuse their animals. But on the other hand, this is a part of country life that I have had to get used to, that many people who grew up in the country and were indoctrinated in certain beliefs simply think animals are beneath humans and so ceste la vie. Buy a few, run them in the pasture or chain them in the yard, and whatever happens...

It is so wild then to have them come up to me and say, "Mah dawg got runned over." I wonder what they expect me to say. What I want to say is, "Yeah, just like the other hUNDRED you've had, because you WON'T fence your yard, and I have ALREADY fenced HALF of it for ya when I fenced my pastures!"

But I don't. I am tactful, just as I am with my neighbor the other way, who insists on barrel-burning trash and plastic even though he knows we like to have the house windows open in spring and fall. (Not to mention that it is supposed to be illegal in my state.) He knows because I told him. But it would cost him $20 a month to have a private hauler carry his trash off for him once a week.

I am sure they find fault with me, too, in some ways. I like to play loud rock and roll music on weekends during the day on my shop, and a cuss word may escape my lips that they might somehow overhear, and I do drink a beer or two on my own place, all of which violate that belief system in which they grew up.

So I guess it's all about tolerance, and knowing what we can do and what we are powerless over. I hate to see the animals suffer and die, but to say something would exact a far worse penalty than it would do any good. I just scratch my head.

You did the right thing in a tough situation. I know cuz I have been there myself.

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
SDjulieinSC: It didn't get to be an old saying for nothing..."What goes around, comes around."

They're reaping what they sow.

I have friends on the Rez in SD, over at Red Shirt Table and Pine Ridge, BTW.

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
One can only wonder how these children will care for their own offspring?

I think you should get the number of the nearest 4H leader and give it to your neighbor, suggest her kids get involved in 4H. Does she even know to go to the feed store to get more hay and alfalfa pellets, or will she expect you to keep giving her the feed?

·
Registered
988 Posts
As all have said you did the right thing. Preserve your own and be "there" to save/help the little buggers with advice. I may be forced to say something to mom about the fact that she needs to care for the animals better. Probably would fall on deaf ears. I have a "friend" who has no clue how to handle raising animals. They got ducks - so did the fox, geese - ditto chickens ditto. Well the first loss was chickens and it was only 2 - they were their sons so I felt bad and let him pick 2 from our flock. (They had supposedly fixed the enclosure). Ours that we gave them are now dead. THe new batch of 15 they got this spring is down to 2 and they wanted more of ours - NO! Sorry my girls are my girls not fox food. They even had trouble keeping the cow, dog, cats. I like them they just have no clue.

·
Registered
2,056 Posts
You did the right thing. My BIL and his family are like that. Wanted me to give my niece a goat for a pet. This is the meanest little red head that walked the earth. She doesn't respect other humans much less animals.As her mom says "she just loves animals"They have gotten her several dogs over her 9 years and all have gone somewhere else in a few months.She does have one now that lives in a small pen and about caused a family split cause they wouldn't spend the money to have it fixed and shots(but they can buy 4wheelers for a 9yo) Grandma took the dog and paid for the vet :shrug:
I was always taught that if you take on another life human or otherwise they are your responsibility.
So now I am the "goat Nazi" "NO GOAT FOR YOU"

·
Registered
2,963 Posts
Chris, that's a situation you can control, and you are making the right choice. With neighbors, it is out of direct control. It is a poor trade to hold my tongue on behalf of neighborly peace, while animals suffer, but my choices are limited.

On the other hand, I know folks who are in a group of animal rescuers. They surreptitiously take photos of abused animals and provide them to a network of people willing to adopt. Then they go in and actually steal the dog or whatever and bring it to a vet and then to its new home.

I personally can't go there, it's illegal, but if things got bad enough...well, I might make a phone call or two.

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
I told her it needed to be wormed and if she didn't want it peeing on it's beard and chasing her kids around the yard with it's tongue hanging out (you should have seen her eyes) , neutered!!
LOL Ah, to have been a fly on the way to have seen that! :D

Maybe since you were worried for the welfare of the goat, you could print out some "basic care" info sheets about goats? Or a few good goat care websites.

I would NOT feel guilty, you can't save 'em all. Just tell yourself that it might have CL or something equally bad that could be passed along to your own goats, and that you don't need. I think you did the right thing.

Did you say that she has three young children, and now a buck with HORNS to play with them? Oh boy.......:(

I have the sneaking suspicion that in the not-too-distant future, she will be paying you a visit and asking if you would like a free goat to add to your collection. ;) I would work on your "refusal" speech now so you have it down pat.

·
Registered
187 Posts
I had a neighbor like that a few years ago.. they didn't tie anything up have a pen NOTHING well one day their dog dug under my fence and into where my chickens run and ducks... the dog killed over half of the chickens and 3 ducks!! I was so mad I grabbed the dog and threw him into a kennel i had at the back of my house and went and got the neighbor and explained what happened he came over there and punched the dog in the head killing it right there in my back yard!!! and then went home and made his KIDS (it was their dog) come get it and dispose of it. and two days later they had another one out running around, i was so happy when they moved!! actually the guy got arrested for cooking drugs and she and the kids moved. But you so did the right thing who knows if you would have taken that from them they might have thought that was open invite to come over and play with it whenever they felt!

·
Dariy Calf Raiser
2,004 Posts
and here i was hopeing .. I could buy 200 goats bring them to your house let you feed, worm, take care of, and winter for me not to mention you kidd out the does for free then me come and sell the whole bunch and just say....THANKS yes you did the right thing

·
Registered
584 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Looks like the goat is destined for the grill. In fact, it's on a chain hooked to it right now! On the front porch no less.
I felt bad for him yesterday evening when I went out to feed my goats. When mine were telling me to hurry up he was hollering back to them. That poor pitiful baby goat cry is awful hard to ignore.
My new mantra is...no julie, vet bills, disease,worms, don't look. no julie, vet bills, disease,worms, don't look, repeat,repeat........

·
stranger than fiction
3,093 Posts
Ahhh, Julie, I feel for you. :( But just because you don't want to take the goat in, doesn't mean you can't offer your knowledge in how to care for him. Maybe if you went over and just asked, as a goat person, how he is doing?

If they make any comments about giving him away, just say, "I'm sorry, but I can't take any more goats in myself right now," or maybe even make some vague comment about having a sick goat (ok, yes, I guess I meant tell a little lie! LOL) and not wanting to spread it to others.

You could just say you were concerned as the goat cries every time yours get fed, or that he looks kinda lonely. Offer to help them if they need information. If they decide not to keep him, out of interest for the goat, you could offer to help them find a new home for him NOT at your house. ;)

1 - 20 of 24 Posts